3.05.2009

No-Sew Bedskirt~

Do you want a custom bedskirt, but you don't want to pay custom $$$$? If so, you've come to the right place.


As many of you know, I am in the (never-ending) process of redoing my master bedroom. Right now, I am working on bedding.


I want my bedding to be easy on my pocketbook, but I want it to look custom. We have been using a fitted sheet to cover our box springs...this is a great option if you want a more clean, contemporary look. But I am going for a more romantic, luxurious look. So I wanted a bedskirt. Because I am aiming for a neutral palette in my bedroom, I wanted to bring in texture. All of the neutral-colored bedskirts I found in the stores were...how shall I put it?...BORING! And the catalogs were a little too pricey for my budget. What's a girl to do?


I went and found some flax-colored linen fabric that I love and made a no-sew bedskirt.


If you want to make your own custom bedskirt, this is what you'll need:

  • Approximately 4 yards of fabric

  • Scissors

  • 2 - 1"x2" wooden boards cut to the length of the bed (approximately 72")

  • 1 - 1"x2" wooden board cut to the width of the bed (I have a king-size bed, mine is cut to approximately 66")

  • measuring tape and pencil

  • staple gun and staples

  • hot glue gun or fabritac

1. Cut the entire length of fabric down the center. Standard fabric widths are between 48" and 56" this will create a drape of 24" to 28" which is perfect for most beds. (Please ignore the ratty carpet in these photos...it is on the list of things to replace.)


2. Take the first board and using a measuring tape, make marks every 8" - these marks will indicate where pleats will be spaced. (You can forego this step if you decide that you want a plain or flat bedskirt. I wanted mine to have a little fulness - but not too much - so I chose to space the pleats 8" apart. You can make them closer or farther apart depending on your personal taste.)


3. Starting at one end, fold the fabric in about 1" and tac the edge to itself using either a glue gun....or if you are glue-gun-challenged like me, you can use fabritac. Same effect no heat. This will create a finished edge.


4. Line the fabric up with the top of the board and staple it.

5. At the next mark, fold the fabric over about 1" to create a pleat. Staple the pleat.

6. Repeat at each remaining mark.

7. I used two rows of staples to make sure the pleats were secure.

8. Once you reach the end of the wood, cut the fabric leaving enough to fold in 1" . Fold...secure edge with glue to create a "hem"...then staple. Fold the bottom up and glue in a hem. I loved the look of the frayed selvedge on my linen (part of that whole texture idea), so I opted not to hem it, but if I decide that the bedskirt starts to look more shabby than chic, I can always glue/hem it later on. (That's the beauty of no-sew!)

9. Repeat process for two remaining boards.

10. Take each board and simply tuck it between the mattress and box springs. That's it!! A custom bedskirt!


This whole project took me less than 1/2 hour and cost me only $20 for the fabric on sale. (I already had the wood - but if you have to purchase wood, it isn't very expensive) Not bad!



Have a lovely Thursday~

47 comments:

Sara said...

Absolutely brilliant!

Sallie said...

Sew Cute for for now sewing. I love all the natural fabrics you use.

Law Wife said...

I've been searching for a no-sew bedskirt idea! This looks pretty easy. Thanks!!

Jennifer said...

Great idea. I can guarantee you that it would take me MUCH longer than 30 minutes to complete this project!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

This is a great project - it's beautiful!

Amber said...

Thanks for posting this! Fabulous! and so smart! Our box springs have been hanging out for almost a year now and every time I look at them I think, I really need to fix that! I've been wanting to buy a fabric that I choose to make a bedskirt and your technique is great! (Especially since our mattresses are so HUGE that it would be QUITE a chore to move the top one to put the bedskirt underneath!) Thanks for sharing! :)

Marilyn said...

How creative you are! It is a perfect bed skirt and your instructions are perfect. I will definitely be doing this! Thanks for the lesson and I love your bed skirt. Beautiful fabric.

FeFe@Good Intentions said...

That is genius!

C Maisy said...

brilliant!!!!
how do you come up with an idea like that. seriously girl!!! sooo cool!

Kasey said...

It's perfect. great tutorial as well.
xoxo

Bridget said...

This is a great idea! We have an antique brass bed that sits up HIGH and all the bedskirts are too short! It's time for a master bedroom re-do and that bedskirt issue has been weighing on me! My mom was good with a needle...me, not so much...and custom made one for it 15 years ago. Thank you for this idea!

Debilou said...

Wow,, thats very creative,, and I just put up a new bed that needs a bed skirt,,think i might try this.. Thanks for sharing.

Darlene said...

Wow that turned out great!!! You are a genius!

randi said...

Great idea! This would be much cheaper than buying a ready made bed skirt!

Randi

http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/

Lou Cinda said...

This is a GREAT idea and I LOVE it! I have a king size bed also, actually a California King and it is a sleigh bed, so I only need the skirt going down the sides as the end doesn't show! I am going to look for fabric at lunch! Thank you for sharing this great idea!

Lou Cinda :)

Half of the Style Sisters said...

Oh my gosh I absolutely love this idea! Staple gun and glue gun aren't they the best tools ever created!! It turned out really nice! Thanks for sharing and great instructions.

Pretty Organizer said...

Were it not for glue guns and staples, how ever would a girl get things done! Brilliant my friend! I also add to my no sewing medium saftey pins, masking tape, and very ocassionally: duct tape.

Tiffany said...

Thank you for this! So Smart and I'll be doing this right away!! I saw a table skirt in Vernada made out of burlap - instead of hemming hte skirt, they simply pulled the "strings" off the bottom edge of the burlap to make "fringe" - I may combine that idea with your bedskirt idea and see what happens! I'll let you know.

Sherri S said...

Oh how clever! This would be a perfect idea for my daughter's oh so high sleigh bed! Thanks for sharing.

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

So creative! Or should I say, no-sew creative! Ha, I'm crackin' myself up over here!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I like the organic look of your bedskirt and so clever of you. Your instructions were clear and very helpful. Thanks.

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Great idea! I love the linen you chose. I can't wait to see the rest of your bedroom.

Kathryn said...

SOOO excited to try this!!!!
Thanks a bunch. It looks awesome. I appreciate the detailed tutorial.

Shannon said...

I LOVE that idea!! Since I have all of our beds on risers, finding a bedskirt that is long enough REALLY limits your choices. Thanks for a great tip!!

Junie Moon said...

What a great and clever idea. Thank you for sharing it. Over the Christmas holidays, I wanted a white bedskirt to go with my red/white Christmas theme but didn't want to buy one. So I just took the top mattress off and placed a king-size white top sheet over the base mattress. Popped the top mattress back on and the whole thing looked great.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, that linen looks gorgeous! I love this look. Thanks so much for another beautiful idea, I'll be linking.

Holly said...

Too Too Clever!!! I love it! I am always wanting to switch everything up!! This makes it so much easier. You are the idea guru. :)

Erica said...

Love it! I just moved my daughter into her new 'big girl' bed and although I love the bedding it didn't come with a bedskirt and I have been trying to find one to cover the lovely blue boxspring. I'll definitely have to attempt to make one myself since I am a no sewer and this project seems perfect for me!

LuLu said...

ThanK YoU for the step by step info. I need new bedskirts for my 2 daughters but have been putting it off, now i know how to make some! Yippee! wonderful and looks great.
LuLu

To The Moon and Back said...

Thank you for this. I wanted a bedskirt for my DD's bed but did not want to spend a lot. This gives me options!

LindaSonia said...

FABulous idea - thanks for sharing LindaSonia

The BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

I love it! What a clever idea!!!

Sandy Toes said...

That is amazing...sandy toe

Reese & Marie said...

That is amazing! What a clever idea - I never would have thought of that. And I love the fabric... reminds me of burlap and is right up my alley!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Very practical and smart! Funny how you can make 4 yards of fabric go so far! This is a great idea. Years ago I took down my old drapes and just shoved them horizontally in between the mattress and box spring and instantly had the most beautiful bedskirt! Thanks for showing us your fabulous idea!
~Misti

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Wow, fabulous. Perfect for the romantic look. Thanks for showing us how to do it too!

Ms. Tee said...

So pretty, soft, and romantic - I love it!

pam said...

ou are without a doubt a clever girl! And you have just saved my bedroom. Just discovered your blog recently and I love it!

Geek+Nerd said...

This is super brilliant. I hate the look of most store purchased bed skirts. Now I can do a custom job without going broke. Hurray!

Amanda said...

in case no one has told you, you are a genius. Thank you so much for this wonderful idea!!!!!!

melissa said...

Wendy~it looks very chic and custom. I love your resource-fulness(is that a word?) Have fun in Maine this weekend!

Amanda said...

What a fantastic idea!

Susie Q said...

Perfect. We bought a new headboard and footboard for our bed last weekend (Goodwill $15!) DH is going to paint it for me and then I just need 'side panels' for it. I can also use this idea on youngest daughter's bed...it has slats across it, but the wood can be attached to the underside...I had about decided to just fasten it to the bed, but doing it this way will let me change it out. THANKS!

jocoryan said...

I've been wanted to do a bed skirt for our bed & our two daughters' for years. I LOVE the idea! The only thing that wouldn't work for me is the unwashability. I've got three toddlers & loads of klingy pet hair. I'm not against SOME sewing, so I'll probably sew on velcro at the pleats(& sew the pleats) & glue velco on the boards. That way they can be washed as needed...when I get around to it ;o)

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

I was just searching online for a good tutorial for making a bedskirt that wouldn't cost a lot, this is perfect! I'll post a link when I do it! Yeah, I need to hide all the stuff stored under my bed!

Katherine said...

This is the good blog with good images and good details. Please keep on posting the more stuff. I will like to hear more from you.
Fine Linens

Inspire Me Heather said...

That's great! I linked this to my bedding post today, it's a really good project!