3.02.2009

A Fancy Soiree~

We had a very FANCY weekend at our house. So I thought I'd share with you all some of the highlights of the Princess' Sixth Birthday!

First things first...I saw this idea for a birthday shirt ages ago when I first started blogging. And I decided that I would start a tradition of making birthday shirts for my kiddos this year. (Mr. One has already put in his order for his birthday shirt... even though his birthday is still 5 months away!) Here is the Princess' shirt! ...the tee shirt was just for school...for her party she and her guests were dressed a bit fancier...you'll see why in a minute...

The Princess and I made these little treat bags for her classmates. The tags were created by scanning in a drawing I made of a party hat with the word celebrate underneath. Then we printed them out on cardstock and colored in the details with marker. We punched a little hole and tied them onto the goodybags with curly ribbon. So fun!!


But the main event of the weekend was the Princess' Fancy Nancy Birthday party! Oh did we have fun with this!! For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Fancy Nancy, she is a little girl who stars in her own series of children's story books. Nancy thinks that everything is better if it is fancy. So you can imagine what a great basis this is for a little girl's party!

Nancy would never have a plain old birthday cake...oh no! So I thought and thought about what to do. And I decided that a cupcake tower would be the best (and most fancy) idea. I used two cake plates and one of my serving platters and topped them with wonderful cupcakes with pink whipped cream frosting and hot pink sugar sprinkles. (Now, I am not a cook...so you all should be very surprised impressed with how well these turned out...I know I was. And I even surprised impressed my former-caterer mother-in-law...so I know I did something right.)


I love a chalkboard...so I included this little board (just added some cute Martha Stewart flower stickers) with the phrase...Welcome to the Soiree...because everything sounds fancier in French.


After I come up with a theme for a party, I always do a little research on line. I was lucky enough to find some wonderful Fancy Nancy printables from the book's publisher that included a paper doll, some coloring sheets, and even nametags! So I printed some out and set them on the table at each girl's spot. I was also lucky enough to find some wonderful glittery foam crowns for the girls to decorate along with fairy-wand-kits on clearance at Michael's. We actually spent the majority of the party at the table, coloring, creating crowns and fairy wands...and then eating the pink-frosted cupcakes, strawberry icecream and sherbet slush (my personal favorite!) The children were thoroughly entertained the entire time! (whew!)



Then after we opened presents, a gaggle of crown-wearing, wand-weilding, fancy little girls screamed, giggled, and ran all over the house! What fun!!


The printables and crowns...

A colorful bowl full of crayons...
The fairy wand kits
A couple of views of the table before the party...(I added a sparkly heart, curly ribbon and some crystals to our chandalier fanci-fy it)



Happy Birthday Princess!


And today I am guest posting over at my uber-fabulous bloggy friend, Kasey's amazing blog...Lola B.'s! Please drop by for a visit!


Have a wonderful Monday~

59 comments:

LovingPrettyThings said...

LOVE THIS! My daughter turns 6 in May (eek!) and I am just soaking in all ideas. We *think* we know what we're doing (this week, at least) - and i KNOW i'll use some of your fab ideas!

Holly said...

Great job! It looks so good and pretty...err, I mean fancy! I don't know if it's the same where you are, but the trend here is Build-a-Bear or tea room parties, or something similar. Nothing wrong with that, if you can afford the several hundred dollars to do it. I can't, really, and it's refreshing to see a lovely and(relatively) simple home party!

Amber said...

Love the cupcake tower! This whole party is so girly, my daughters would have loved this. One year I had a dress up tea for 27 6 year olds. Wild and so fun. You did fabulous.

Tammy said...

Great job on the party! So many fun ideas. I'm sure all the girls had a wonderfully fancy time!

Angie said...

WOW! I wish I could have been at this fun party! You really outdid yourself and I know your daughter will remember it always!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Oh, I love everything about this sweet party. I raised three girls and I always enjoyed their birthdays. My best friend's name is Nancy and she has three granddaughters and one on the way. I am going to share this link with her, because I think you did a superb job.

Karli said...

You did a perfect job!

Meredith said...

Love it!!! You did a fantastic job and those cupcakes look scrumptious! My daughter went to a Fancy Nancy party last spring and it was so adorable too - another idea for your readers who will for sure steal your fancy ideas - the guests were asked to dress extra fancy too. My daughter went all out with long gloves and lots of jewels and sparkles and a boa, tiara, etc. It was so adorable.

This all reminds me of the Eloise party last year (Eloise is 6, of course and it was my oldest's 6th birthday.) It was fantastic and very similar to Fancy Nancy. On the invite to the party, which was held at the "Plaza Hotel" we said "it would be rawther fun to wear black and white like me, Eloise." So all the girls came in black and white and our favors were hot pink feather boas, silver mardi gras beads and hot pink and black glitter sunglasses. (All from Oriental Trading or Ebay.) Then it looked just like the pages of the book - all black and white drawings with hits of hot pink. It was stinkin' adorable! It was pre-blog...maybe I should blog about it now!

Tanielle said...

Cute stuff!! What a fun party for your little girl!

Martha said...

Oh wow.. I love what you did! Everything looked great!
Martha

Rachel said...

WOW WHAT A GREAT PARTY! I love everything about it. I'm going to have to remember this post for Brinley's big 8th birthday next year, she would love it.

Ps. The natural light in your home is amazing!

Pretty Organizer said...

What a splendid affair. You did a fantastique job Wendy. How fun!

Can't wait to see you guest post!

Mandi said...

Very fancy and fun!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

It all looks fabulous! Hope she had a great time!

Sandy Toes said...

Oh..Fancy Nancy...how fun and pink! What sweet sweet ideas.
sandy toe

Jodee Leader said...

We love Fancy Nancy at our house too. It looks like your party was a blast. Your cupcakes turned out soooo cute!

C Maisy said...

too cute. i want to turn 6 in your house!

amy said...

Ohhhh how I LOVE Fancy Nancy! I'm a former teacher (now stay home with my twin girls) and my class LOVED Fancy Nancy- it was a GREAT way to learn new fancy words to use in their writing- so fun!!! Your sweet princess had a beautiful birthday party! You did a GREAT job! Love all the details that made it so much fun for your daughter and friends. I see FAncy Nancy in my future with TWO little girls!

Oh and I' SO excited to have won the gorgeous necklace giveaway! Thank you so much-- that blessed my day!

duchess said...

What fun. Great decor for the soiree.

Kasey said...

I want a party like that!!!!

Bridget said...

That looks like so much fun! Love the shirt, love the cupcakes, love the crayon pic! :)

Kelli said...

What a cute party. My daughter had a princess party at 5 and we made bracelets. They were so cute and the girls were so quiet. I'm sure your daughter enjoyed!

Shannon said...

It all looks perfect!!! I love it! I bet those little girls had so much fun.

Amber, That's Me! said...

LOVE the shirt. What a great idea. Your party looks so fabulous!

Laura said...

What a fancy, special birthday for your little princess, done with simplicity, beauty & love! She's a very lucky girl!

Junie Moon said...

What a lovely princess party. All your party details are so clever and I can understand how your daughter and each little guest enjoyed the whole effect.

Lissa said...

I enjoyed reading your entry on kasey's sight. I learned some things I never knew before. This party looks so fun! My 7 yr old wants a fancy nancy spa party which she saw in the new yellow book. So I will be working on that! Wish me luck! I have some time still! Thank you for some fun reading this morning. :)

Darlene said...

What a fabulous party you did for your Princess. I LOVE everything about it!!! Those cupcakes look delicious!!♥

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

FAB-U-LOUS! You did a wonderful job. Tres fancy, as Nancy would say. I am filing this info. away for the future...my three year old loves Fancy Nancy. ;) Great party!

Amanda said...

Love it, Love it, Love it. Love the wand kits and the cupcake tier. I will keep that in my memory bank for my daughters future parties. Supercute!

LuLu & Co. said...

Love everything about your daughters party! So cute I want a party like that for myself!! So sweet the cupcakes looked great!
enjoyed your post at Kasey's... i find you to be so inspiring so thank you for sharing!
LuLu

southern fairy said...

looks beautiful! There's an award for u on my blog :) x

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

What a great party! Will you come plan my next one? Pretty Please?

blossom said...

wishing i was 6 again so i could enjoy a party like this.....x
loved your guest post on lola b's blog today
take care, sharon x

Ms. Tee said...

Awww! It all looks so beautiful! And while I was typing this comment, I just noticed over to the side that your cakestand has a crown on it, too. You think of everything. :) Happy birthday to your sweet girl!

Crafty Niche said...

That is too cute!

Belly Laughs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Belly Laughs said...

My 4 year old daughter just attended a Fancy Nancy party a couple of weeks ago, so I wanted to let you know that your soiree sounds extraordinarily fancy! We didn't see crowns, wands and a cupcake tower, that's for sure. But we did love the favors. Little lip gloss bubble wands (one on each end) from a company called AllyKats. I need to find a store near me, so we can get more! For my daughter's 5th birthday, we are thinking about a Pinkalicious party, so may borrow the adorable cupcake tower idea.
Fun, fun!

Amber said...

I'm sure that the girls loved the very fancy soiree!

I love the birthday shirt idea! I'll have to remember that when we have little ones!

Lucky said...

GORGEOUS!

kristal said...

absolutely princess heaven!! so glad you're making such special memories for your family.

Valarie Lea said...

Love this! Everything looked so cute!

Erin said...

What a fun party for your little girl! I love the cupcake stand with the yummy beautiful looking cupcakes!

SoBella Creations said...

What a great party!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Sounds like you girls had a blast! No pink to be found in this house, so I will have to just soak up all the girly, or rather, Fancy Nancy parties in blogland. Thanks for sharing your wonderful party goodness!
~Misti

Elyse said...

what a fabulously fancy party! i love all the details. the small details are my favorite part of planning parties. i once threw a carnival party because i found a great font! i'm sure you can relate!

what beautiful memories you have created.

oh - and i almost forgot - you did a BEAUTIFUL job on the cupcakes!!!

way to go!

xo

Damaris said...

this is so cute. how many girls did you invite? I'm planning Enzo's party and I never know how many kids are too many to invite

Chris said...

How adorable is that?! I love her cute little "6" shirt! What a nice job you did!

Sherri S said...

Oh what a FANCY party! How cute is that shirt!?! Love the idea. I bet the girls had a blast. It all looks so fancy-fied and girly.

Jill said...

Fabulous! Oh how I love a little girl's party. :)
-Jill

koralee said...

I am always checking out Kasey's blog so needed to check out yours....what fun the party must have been...pink and girls just go together...i have 3 girls so we live in a house filled with pink!!!! I will check in often for great ideas...oh i love the cupcake stand!!!!

-Julie said...

Love the shirt and the cupcakes! Great job! My two girls and I really like reading Fancy Nancy books....although my oldest is a tom boy so I'm TRYING my hardest to get her to be just a tad more like Nancy ;-)

restyled home said...

Love it all!! Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

Linda

Cristin@Serendipity said...

It looks fabulous! Every little girl needs a Fancy Nancy soiree! Fun details!

gina said...

What a delightful party theme!

paige said...

entirely too precious!!
the cupcakes are over the top cute!!
happy birthday to your sweet girl
xo

Our Complete Family said...

What a great birthday party you hosted! I love it all! I can't wait for my little princess to have one like this and am storing your ideas away in my memory banks! Not that I don't love the boy bday parties for my older son, but this will be a fun one one day!
Happy belated bday to your princess!

Lisa said...

What wonderful Ideas......Thanks

Penelope Walker said...

The pink crowns for the girls to decorate are wonderful! I just linked to your post from the MyPunchbowl party planning blog in which I wrote about a fairy princess party and email invitations.