3.25.2009

Affordable and Fun Spring Decor


Welcome back to Spring Spruce-up Week at the Shabby Nest! Since everyone is very budget conscious now-a-days, I thought I'd share some Spring decorating ideas that don't cost a lot of money! After all, we still want our homes to look pretty even if we don't have a fortune to spend. Whenever I need fun ideas, I turn to...what else? The internet! And Blogland, in particular.

First up! Pretty eggs...This idea came from an idea for decoupaged spheres found here. I just love these! I'm actually going to make some of them later with some of my toile wrapping paper. (Just can't get enough toile!) But I decided to adapt the idea for spring/Easter, and this is what I came up with...decoupaged plastic Easter eggs...with lots of glitter. I just used scrapbook paper, Mod Podge and glitter...lots of glitter. They're so pretty! I *heart* them.





Next, more little birdies. I gave you all the link to the pattern for these pretty birds in this post. This is a great pattern because these little pretties can be adapted for all seasons. For spring, I decided to make some in a soft linen. I love them, but Mr. One isn't so sure. He thinks they're kind of "ugly" was the exact word he used. But then I could tell he felt bad, and tried to make it up to me. Ah well, he's only 8 after all. I still love them. And I think they will transition nicely to summer as well.





If you haven't already heard of the Toymaker, you will thank me! It is an amazing site, chock full of paper lovelies for you to print and make. This sweet little bunny is actually part of a game that you can make from the site, but I thought it was so cute, I needed to make one for Easter.





And finally, I simply love it when I get links to Pixies that my readers have created. I had to share this darling pixie created by Attic Gal Rachelle. Isn't she amazing? Check out her little wings...Easter eggs! And the sweet little tutu made from silk flower petals? So cute. Hop over and check it out.


Photo from Attic Gals


I hope that these ideas will help put some "Spring" in your homes!!


Join me tomorrow for some more spring/Easter decor and a little surprise too!


Have a lovely Wednesday~

22 comments:

Holly said...

The cherry blossoms are amazing!

Victoria@WhimsybyVictoria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victoria@WhimsybyVictoria said...

You made my day! I love the cherry blossom branches! They look so real! I have three vases I change out with branches and flowers for the seasons. I was eyeing some cherry blossoms at Pier one, but they were $12 per bunch, I would need at least 4 to make them work. Now I have the answer to my dilemma! Thank you for posting this. I can't wait to try this and I will have to post on it and link it back to you. I love blogland for all the creative ideas out there!!

Hugs,
~Victoria~

Saucy said...

All of these are perfectly sweet ideas and now I think I know what to do with a super cute snapshot I have of my niece, Moira... turn her into a pixie!

Attic Gal Rachelle said...

You have impeccable taste, my dear! I was planning on making some eggs very similar to yours, Love, love love the "ugly" birds, and the cherry blossoms - fantastic idea. I've always wanted cherry blossoms, but alas, no cherry trees around here (lots of citrus, though, great for allergies!) I am going out to find some branches today! Thanks for digging that idea up for us.

Oh, and that pixie! I had so much fun making her that I was squealing with delight when she came together. Kids just roll their eyes at their absurd mother. Actually, they all wanted me to make a pixie of them. I will. But since they are all boys, no flower petal tutus for them.

Thanks so much for mentioning me and the link back to Out of the Attic! I am thrilled and honored! You made my day, and its only 5am!

I'll be having a good day, Hope you do too!

LuLu said...

It's so true... even on a budget you can have a decorated house! Love the spring ideas! And I love the linen bird I could see her sitting in my sunroom next to my ladder!!!
have a wonderful day,
LuLu

Kasey said...

love the little projects that you come up with!!
xoxo

becca said...

mmmmm I'm loving the cherry branches. I have been working on my mantle... piece by piece I've been transforming the things I didn't like. But one thing lacks... and I think they just might do the trick!

SoBella Creations said...

I love the cherry blossoms. Off to check out the other recommended sites.

Painter's Place said...

I luv the eggs and the bird, especially in the linen. I received my necklace of the nest that I ordered from you, and I luv it. I wear it all the time. Thanks...Gina

Shannon said...

Those are all great ideas! Thoes cherry blossoms are amazing!

sherry lee said...

The cherry blossoms look so lifelike..and would be so easy to do to add some punch, brightness and spring to a room!

Glitter and Bliss said...

I love the eggs. I did the newspaper thing, but the colored paper is super cute!! I loved the pic of you in your toile shirt. Beautiful!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I love seeing what you have going on in your Nest. :) My incentive to finish Spring Cleaning will be doing some neat, crafty, THRIFTY decorating. ;) Have a wonderful week!

melissa said...

Beautiful, Wendy! I adore the sparkly eggs and cannot wait for you to show us all how to make the branches.

Ms. Tee said...

Those little cherry blossoms look so real - I might have to do that! And the Easter egg-winged fairy is adorable. :)

Pretty Organizer said...

Had to take a break from visiting all of the Toile posts (almost 100!) to say hello and thank you! Love the easter eggs... the glitter makes them perfect!

I'm trying to figure out how to do those sugar panoramic easter eggs for my kiddos this year. Remember them from the 1970's Oops, dating myself. They're made out of sugar and have little easter scenes in them. My mom made a few and always brought them out at Easter... they keep forever, and we LOVED them!

Those sweet pixies... love them!

Thanks for all you help!

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

I love all this spring goodness. Boy those cherry blossom branches look amazing. I am going to try this! I love doing stuff for very little cost and yet lots of satisfaction! Yippee!
Blessings,
Debbie

morethanthestarsinthesky said...

Love the great Spring deco. ideas! I am now thinking about making the birds.....we love birds and bird watching in my family. We have a bird encyclopedia & journal the ones we have seen our yard. Very educational by the way(learning the different birds). My boys would love having these birds on our Christmas tree! Thanks for all the tips :)

Holly said...

I love it all, but your fantastical, splendiforous, all-a-glitter eggs have really got me in the craftin mood!!! :)

Robyn said...

Darling!

Cristin@Serendipity said...

Little touches...everything looks so pretty!