2.12.2009

Two LOVE-ly Projects~

I have been a busy girl this week! With Valentine's Day right around the corner, my "spare" time has been filled with LOVE-ly projects.



First of all, the Princess' kindergarten class is having their Valentine's Party on Friday, and they have been requested to wear something Valentines-y. In my book, that is an invitation to create something fun for her to wear. So I tried my hand at applique. A very long time ago, I asked the lovely ladies at Little Birdie Secrets for a tutorial on easy appliques...and they came through for me. So here is the link. It was actually very easy!And I love the results. (So does she...she can't wait to show up at school gettin' her Valentine on!)


Because we are on a budget this year (as everyone seems to be) I was looking for something I could do for the Hubby that wouldn't break the bank. Inspired by a couple of different things that I have seen in my blog wanderings, I came up with this little project...


I found a photo on-line of the building where the Hubby and I had our wedding reception and I played around with it on Picnik (if you are at all into photography, and you've never been to this site...you should hop over right now...don't worry, I'll wait). I made the photo a little more sepia-toned, softened it a little so it would look a bit more like a painting, then added the text. Then I just used some Mod Podge (yes, by now you should know that I have a bit of a love affair with Mod Podge) to affix it to a pre-stretched paint canvas that I bought a long time ago. So my cost for this romantic little gift...FREE!

Well, I'm off to put the finishing touches on the kiddo's Valentine's teacher gifts...a mother's work is never done. ;-)

Have a lovely Thursday~

26 comments:

Amy said...

There's an
Award
for you on my blog!

Thanks for your awesome blog!

Blondie's Journal said...

Wendy,

You are not only sweet & creative, I now have you up on that money savvy pedestal (which you probably always were since you can pretty much come up with anything with what you have). Kudo's to you.

I hope your daughter has a fun day on Friday and that you & the hubby have a wonderful & romantic Valentine's Day! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Sandy Toes said...

I love both of these ideas..they are wonderful! So creative you are!

love it!
-sandy toe

Melissa said...

Thanks Wendy! I LOVE the picture! I'm going to surf the web right now and see if I can find a pic of the cafe my husband and I had our 1st date. Perfect for V-day!

Laura said...

What an adorably classic outfit for your daughter! And your husband is going to love that heartfelt present more than anything you could have ever bought in a store.
You have captured the spirit of Valentine's Day wonderfully!

duchess said...

So cute. Hope she has a great party.

Leigh said...

I LOVE those projects! That are delightful! I am going to do something like your reception building. Perfect.

Hey join me today for my very first linky party. Thrifty Thursday's.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Great idea Wendy! My wheels are turning!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I have the shirt done, but I didn't think about her jeans! Perfect, she just got a hole in the knee! I love it!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Yet another fantastic and creative idea! Can I come hang out with you for a crafty weekend?

Astrid said...

Very cute! I've been meaning to try applique. That shirt and pants are just DARLING!

Come over and see what I made for Valentine's Day class gifts....http://thelopsidedhouse.blogspot.com/2009/02/valentines-day-treats-fun-craft-project.html

:)

LuLu & Co. said...

Both ideas are great! Darling applique!
LuLu

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Oh, if only my girls were young enough to wear something so cute! They are all caught up in their Abercrombieness.
I love the gift for your husband, very creative!

Kasey said...

what i want to know is, on your hubby's gift, is the C. ShabbyNest printed on the bottom as well?
Ha.
Ha.
xoxo
see you tomorrow;)

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Kasey...You are a funny girl! I kind of thought it looked like that when I put the watermark on also. ;-)

Shannon said...

Cute clothes and love that idea for your man. I'm heading on over to Picnic right now. Thanks!

Our Complete Family said...

Well hello Miss Crafty! Love your ideas for Val day!
Super cute!!!
Happy heart day to you and yours~ Les

SoBella Creations said...

Your daughter is going to look so sweet at her Valentine's party.

Elyse said...

wendy, those are wonderful!

you will laugh when i tell you what i bought for my husband (also budget-conscious): a star wars ornament on clearance for $1.00 at our local hallmark store! LOL

xo

Pretty Organizer said...

What a great gift for your sweetheart! Love it! I'm heading over there... is it for techno idiots?

Pretty Organizer

C and Co. said...

I HEART YOUR PROJECTS!! Although with 5 kiddos I don't get much time to try them but I log them away in my "when I have a moment" file to try later. I stalk your blog regularly. Thank you for your upbeat inspiration. You are a breath of fresh air in my day.

Kathy said...

I found your blog while checking out Style Sisters. I love your creativity! I will be back to check you out in the future.

Angie said...

Your daughter is going to be so precious in that outfit! I want a shirt like that for me! Love that creative gift for your hubby and also the vintage Valentines wreath. You are so inspiring!

Ms. Tee said...

Both of these are so cute, but I really like the gift to your hubby - so sweet!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Thanks! Now I will have something to give my hubby!

Musings From A French Cottage said...

Your project is wonderful!! I must try it. You are so creative -I love it!!

Hugs,
Kathleen