2.25.2009

Skirting the Issue~

This is the tale of how a little old chair got all dressed up!


Last year the Hubby and I found a pair of antique ladderback chairs being thrown out by the local auction house. Their lines were lovely, but their rush-woven seats had seen better days. As in, one was missing entirely, and the other one...well see for yourself. But they were cute, so we hauled them home, and planned on cutting out and upholstering new seats for them.



We have desperately needed a chair for our piano for a while now. Whenever anyone wants to play, they have to drag over a chair from the kitchen. So the other night as I lay in bed, I had a brainstorm. It is for exactly these reasons that I keep my inspiration notebook by the bed. I jotted down the idea, and knew it would be safe until morning.

So yesterday I went to work. First I tied on some chair cushions- left over from the rocking chair that used to be in the boys' nursery- to make it soft and cushy for the tushy.



I have some old cotton duck PB slipcovers which have served me well, but have seen better days. So I grabbed one of them. The old ladderback was much too tall for the cover, but I didn't let that deter me. I cut a slit in the top and rolled and tucked...it looked good, but something was missing. And being the queen of photo transfers, I had a brainstorm. I printed out a vintage sheet music cover and transferred it onto the seat of the slipcover. Now my pretty ladderback has a nice, new, perfectly shabby skirt. Ain't she purdy?



Don't Forget!!! Today is the last day to enter the drawing for the lovely crowned heart necklace.


Have a lovely Wednesday~

42 comments:

Ms. Tee said...

What a cute idea with the music sheet & slipcover - so creative! :)

Sheryl said...

What a great idea! And the music transfer adds that special touch. I love ladderback chairs. Reminds me of the kitchen chairs we had growing up.

Sheryl

Angie said...

What a great idea! I am like you - thinking about decorating and stuff while lying in bed and all of a sudden have a good idea. I guess I need to keep a notebook on my nightstand!

Karli said...

I love it I love it I love it! Thanks so much!

Once Upon a Twig said...

I love this idea. You are so super creative!

Sandy Toes said...

What a sweet idea!
~Sandy toe

Darlene said...

What a perfect idea for the chair. LOVE it!

southerninspiration said...

That's truly a trash to treasure story!! CUTE!

Suzanne

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love that you put the sheet music on it. I teach piano lessons and LOVE this idea. Thanks

Laura said...

Very talented, lady!

Glitter and Bliss said...

As always....I love it!!!

Lisa said...

Love this idea and you make it look so easy!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I have some similar looking chairs with the same kind of woven bottom but they are far to deteriorated to be able to use your idea. I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on and come up with a sorlution. You chair looks great.

Elyse said...

transfer paper! i love it!

Law Wife said...

The music paper was a great idea! I love the white slipcover on the wood chair :)

Angela Darling said...

I just found your blog. I'm so glad that I did!

Rue said...

I love it! I have a few chairs that are just as damaged and now I know what to do with them. Thank you :)

rue

Carrie said...

They turned out so well good job!

Erica said...

your chair looks very nice, I love the way you refinished it.

Jen r. said...

I LOVE it! But then again, I love everything you do! I LOVE photo transfers, I don't know what I did before them! You are os clever! Thank you so much for joining in on the party Wendy! Jen

Our Complete Family said...

What a nifty idea!
Turned out oh so adorable, too!
Happy day wishes~ Les

Cher said...

The photo transfer music sheet was a brilliant idea!

The Texas Woman

Pretty Organizer said...

Hey friend!

Antique sheet music? I'm in! AND I have TONS of it around! LOVE decorating with music.

Excellent idea. Where are you finding the time to get these things done with kiddos running around? Girl, I need an assistant BIG TIME!:)

Fun post.
Pretty Organizer

Vanilla Lavender said...

What a cute chair! Love it the covers. Great! :) Vanessa

Shannon said...

I love that little slipcover! How cute! The transfer was the perfect touch.

LuLu said...

Our minds are on the same wave length, searched all weekend for an old chair like this to drag home and could find one with lines like your's! need a chair to pull up to a desk we have. The chair skirt is wonderful.
LuLu

Erin said...

How fun. I love re-purposing old furniture. Your chairs turned out great!

Valarie Lea said...

Cute!!! You did a great job!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Great makeover! That inspiration notebook served you well.

Home Sweet Hideaway said...

I've never played with photo tranfers before, but I'm starting to think I need to. Updating old furniture is my favorite kind of makeover! Looks GREAT!

Holly said...

OOOH Wend I love it!! It is so cottage rustic, and so vintage classy all at the same time. It has a very beach house feel to me. (I love that feeling.) :)

Gina @ Six in the Country said...

That looks so amazing!

Chris said...

I thought you should know that I read your comment today and laughed out loud. You ARE funny. :) Secondly, I LOVE that chair! It's absolute perfection!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Great idea! what a cute little skirt and I love the sheet music. Perfect for playing the piano!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Adorable! I love the idea of keeping a notebook. :) I have a binder that I keep tear-outs from magazines in, but I need something to write down ideas....

Blondie's Journal said...

Love those brainstorms Wendy! Keep inspiring!

xoxo
Janie

Tammy said...

Great job on your chair. It looks fantastic. You're very talented. And I love the music transfer idea.

Nora said...

I have a lemonade award for you :) Thanks for all the inspiration. Such great ideas, always.

kristal said...

so smart! LOVE the sheet music. i bet this will inspire some beautiful playing!

thedomesticfringe said...

Good idea!

-FringeGirl

citysage said...

What a lovely way to complement the charming old bones of the chair--it spruces it up just enough, but still lets the piece shine through!

Felicia said...

Love this makeover :)