2.19.2009

The Forgotten Room

Our upstairs bathroom is the orphan room in our house. It is slated to get a total remodel, and because we plan to redo it, I have neglected it. As a result, it is one of my least favorite rooms in the entire house...second only to the dungeon basement that is waiting to be finished into our studio/office and family room. But I digress. The Nester is having a "10 minutes to a room you love" party today! And I decided to join in.


Now because I know that this room is going to be done in the next few months (that is me being optimistic) I didn't want to spend a lot of time or a lot of money doing anything to it. I just wanted to enjoy it a little more. So I decided to take the Nester at her word, and see if I could make it more bearable beautiful in just 10 minutes. It actually took me about 15 minutes, but that's close enough in my book. She's good, that Nester. Soooo let me show you what I did.

The one thing I do love about this room is that it is painted a gorgeous shade of blue. And I love the way that pale gray-blue plays off of black and white. So I have been working along that theme.

First, the poor room needed some art. This little project took me all of five minutes to accomplish. Some of you may remember my toile barn star. Well, when the Princess and I cleaned out her room the other day we discovered some more of my toile wrapping paper stuffed in the back of her dresser (her dresser used to be my craft supply station). So I cut out a couple of pieces and framed them up. They look lovely!



I already had the pretty white shower curtains (which are going to be embroidered with a black monogram one day soon), but adding fluffy white towels made the dated white and brass towel bars look much better. (They are going to be replaced with hooks along the lines of what I did in the boys room.)


The toilet paper holder was ripped off the walls by my toddler demolition team months ago, but because the room is going to be redone, I haven't replaced it. Putting the roll of TP in this basket does the trick, and looks cute!

I added a few little things I love - like this little jar of vintage buttons - just to make the room homier.


Bringing in some of the tulips from yesterday's post really helped make the room more pleasant! I just love fresh flowers everywhere...but in unexpected places like a bathroom, they really make a statement! (The tumbler that is holding them used to house our toothbrushes, but I listened to Nester and hid all hygiene products in the cabinets.)


I've shown my bathroom mistreatment before, but here she is again!


 

Thanks for visiting~

59 comments:

melissa said...

Wendy~I love your touches, especially the framed paper. What a creative idea and it looks perfect with those black frames! Good luck getting the bathroom done~we're in the midst of one as well~the joy!! :)
Melissa

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Wow - I love the toile, the basket, the shower curtain embroidery idea....it looks great now (!) and I can't wait to see how it looks after the total redo.

Living with Lindsay said...

So sweet!

I'm a huge toile fan - HUGE! I love the framed wrapping paper. Such a great idea. And, I've just bookmarked your toile star. OMG - Swoon! Love!

Karol said...

Oooh! So pretty. Great job.

Karol :0)

Holly said...

It's totally you (from what I've seen of your blog!)...lovely!

Jessica said...

Love the window treatment...can you come make me some just like it??

Pretty Organizer said...

Maybe I need to have a toile party. It's pretty specific but girl, who can get enough of those designs! I LOVE the frames.... ane those pillows are super!

Mrs. Querido said...

What a fun idea to monogram the shower curtain! I might have to borrow it! I love it! Your bathroom says SPA to me. Oh, and I have a toddler demolition team too...only this team seemed to lose the roll holder..the rest of it stands to mock me. At least I don't have to worry about replacing the roll...or which way it rolls..over or under...lol!

robinrane said...

Stopping in to say Hi~
These pics just made me feel good. I love the frames fabric, great idea.
Oh and the pillow...darling~
Robin
All Things Heart and Home

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Looks good! I love the toile wrapping paper. I am looking for art in my half bath and wanted toile...will be on the look-out!

Astrid said...

It's LOVELY! Love the toile (I need to get me some!) and your window mistreatment. What a lovely bathroom!

Crafty Niche said...

I love the touches you added to your bathroom. So beautiful, yet cozy!

www.craftyniche.com

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Wow, you've chosen just the right touches to fix up your bathroom. If this is what the rooms in your house that NEED redone look, you don't want to see mine! ;)

Sandy Toes said...

I love the toile you framed..that is such a great idea!
-sandy toe

Kelly said...

Looks great- love the pillow!

Lisa said...

It looks beautiful - and I just love the toile barn star! I would never have thought of that.

I see a trip to Michaels and/or Hobby Lobby this weekend...

Kasey said...

i love how the pillow ties it all together;)

Teresa said...

Sweet and beautiful touches-
Gave me some great ideas-
Thanks for sharing.

bj said...

Oh, I love it all...the little TP basket is a great idea and I love the toile paper...Great little makeover...
bj

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

If you got all that done in 15 minutes I can't wait to see what you accomplish in a total re-do! Looks great!

Judy B said...

Living the toilet paper in the wire basket. YOu did a lovely job!!! I will look forward to the whole reno if this is what you did in a short 15 minutes...LOVELY!!!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

What an awesome job you did! Of course you would though, everything you do is pretty darn cool. The tulips look great in the cup, and I love the jar of buttons, but my favorite is the framed toile. I do have some scrap toile fabric laying around, hmmmm.
Thanks for sharing!
~Misti

coco said...

I think I could live with that bathroom for awhile!:) Great ideas...love the pictures!

Darlene said...

I LOVE your bathroom makeover. It should definitely do the trick until you can give it a major makeover. LOVE the dressmaker pillow too!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Very nice! Love the tulips and jar of buttons. :-)

queenbee said...

Very pretty. I love the tulips and shells. Great job.

Jen r. said...

Love the toile frames!

Rachel said...

I really like the framed toile paper. Great idea!

Amanda said...

I'm lovin' ALL the wonderful little touches you've added to your bathroom!

LuLu & Co. said...

The frames look great and love the metal basket for the TP! cute cute cute!! Huge fan of white towels!
LuLu

Reese & Marie said...

All of the little touches are so nice - but I especially like the toile in the frames. That is so creative and thrifty but has so much impact. Great job.

Tricia Anne said...

What a fresh clean look! I especially like your frames of toile.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

melissa said...

Hi Wendy~the birds are back in the garden section~mine were right next to the Roundup and all the new garden stuff they were just setting up. Good luck!

Holly said...

LOVE IT ALL!!! It screams you. :) The new pillow really makes me smile!

Shannon said...

It looks great! I love the little touches. I have that same wrapping paper and you might be seeing a little more of it when you get your little package this week. :)

ellen said...

Love the little jar with vintage buttons!

Amanda said...

Oh Wow - it's beautiful! LOVE it!!! I really like the cute container the tulip is in and I love the framed toile. I have some toile wallpaper that's been sitting in my garage for years. I am SO going to frame it! Great job!

Kendall and Brooks said...

I LOVE the framed Toile Wrapping Paper! Totally stealing that idea :)

Tangee said...

I love it all, it's so cute. Loving your little Pillow.

Do it yourselfer said...

Wow...it looks so relaxing! Great job!

Becca said...

it looks beautiful! great job creating a whole new feeling in such a short amount of time - i love it! :-)

new every morning said...

You're so creative!
I love all the little touches!

Kristin said...

Cute stuff! I just had to mention that I have that very shower curtain! I love it!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

What can I say? Girl, you've got talent. I love the buttons in the jar. I adore toile, the shells look so pretty in the tall canister
and love the pillows. I've always wanted a dress form.

Sallie said...

I love everything about it and I love that pillow.

Deidra said...

I want to go to there! It's lovely! I have some old toile wallpaper that I've been meaning to frame. Thanks for the reminder!

SoBella Creations said...

I love toile!

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I love the little jar of buttons and the tulips! Great job!
-Kim

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Love it and oh so love the pictures. I really love the jar of buttons too~

Sherri S said...

Love the frame makeovers. All the silver touches with a splash of color. Lovely!!!

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

The window mistreatment is so neat! And the jar of shells by tulips...lovely!!

jenjen said...

Your room looks awesome! I love the black and white theme with the silver. And the toile frames - simply beautiful!

Jen

Home Sweet Hideaway said...

Love the black framed toile -especially considering how easy it was!

honeysuckle said...

You did an awesome job. I love fresh flowers in any room too. The black and white framed pictures are a great idea on a budget. Thanks for sharing.

koehmstedt said...

That is great and your Etsy shop is awesome!

Ms. Tee said...

So, so pretty Wendy! I love the framed wrapping paper especially! I've been fixing up my son's bathroom this week and that gave me an idea~ :)

Lisa said...

I love your ideas, I am getting ready to re-do two bathroom and love all your ideas.

Cary said...

So pretty! I love your pillows- I just can't ever decide which one I want....

Michelle said...

I just framed some wrapping paper! Love your framed paper! Beautiful!

Michelle
http://www.everydaycelebrating.com