1.22.2009

Valentine's Votives and a New Platter~

Here's a quick and easy project to pretty-up your Valentine's table. I posted these ages ago...back when I first started this blog. But because it's a pretty safe bet that virtually no-one saw them back then, I thought it was probably safe to share them again.

These are one of my favorite projects to do with the kiddos, but they are pretty enough to use on a grown-up-ish table. Now, I used baby food jars to make mine (because I had plenty of them handy at the time) but you could use honest-to-goodness, real-life votive holders to make yours.

All you need are a few votive holders, some tissue in pretty Valentines-y shades (I used pinks and reds), Mod Podge, a paint brush (or sponge brush), and scissors.

WARNING: This project is goopy...so if you want to try it with little ones, realize that you better cover their clothes, and also realize that you will actually end up doing a lot of the project yourself.

  • The best way to do this is to work in sections.
  • Apply a little Mod Podge, then add a piece of torn tissue.
  • Continue in this fashion varying shades of tissue. Make sure to overlap the tissue so none of the glass is showing. (This also helps to diffuse the light from the candles and casts pretty shadows.)
  • Take special care to only go up to the rim of the votive holder...DO NOT FOLD THE TISSUE OVER THE EDGE INTO THE VOTIVE HOLDER...that would be a fire hazard with an open flame...and we're not aiming to cause fires here.)
  • I like to cut out a little heart shape and place it on top of the other tissue.
  • Then seal the entire thing with another coat of Mod Podge.
  • Allow holder to dry thoroughly before placing a candle inside.

Then enjoy the soft glow these create. But please make sure not to leave candles unattended.

Now for one other little tidbit. Some of you may remember in my post about the shelves in my kitchen, that I mentioned needing another platter for the bottom shelf. Well, the cute Hubby was listening (or reading my blog) and guess what he got me for our Anniversary? Yep, a cute little square platter for the bottom shelf. Melts my heart, that guy!


Have a lovely Thursday~

38 comments:

Angie said...

The votive holders are so adorable! I can see using that idea for every season. Such a sweet hubby you have!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Cute votives! Maybe I'll try that with the kids!
Thanks for the craft advise too! Mod Podge rocks!

Blondie's Journal said...

Another great project I'm sure I will try. I love decorating for Valentines Day, its so romantic! I just love looking at those shelves. Your hubby is a keeper!! I think I mentioned I am doing a white on white kitchen with open shelves and it makes me feel better that others are doing it too and I'm not out of my league.

Thanks for a great post! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh those are beautiful! What a great project, I'll be linking.

The shelves are FABULOUS! My husband is dying to get open shelves in our kitchen. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Ms. Tee said...

How very cute those are! and your hubby is so sweet :)

Kasey said...

All of your great ideas amaze me! and your hubby did a super good job, he deserves a pat on the back!

Pretty Organizer said...

Cracking up that your hubby got you the cute little platter. How in tuned is he??? Now the shelves are perfect... does it make you not want to touch anything? I'm doing open shelves for this kitchen redo but now I'm freaking out because really... I have no control over my cupboards. I surrendered that a long time ago. My cupboards will always look way whacko... of course, if I got rid of the big gulp cups they might look better, right?

Rachel said...

What a cute and easy might I add craft idea! And I love your shelf with all the white dishes! Ahh.... it just makes my heart go pitter pat! ;)

Marilyn said...

How Darling!

Sandy Toes said...

Those votives are wonderful!!! So fun and perfect for a Valentine meal!
-sandy toe

Melissa said...

Hey, even I can make those!!! Thanks for the project Wendy :)

Betsy said...

Candleholders...too cute. Hubby remembering you needed a platter...too sweet. Lucky girl

Kimm said...

Those votives are cute, and great project for the kids to try.
The platter? Perfect. The thoughtful hubby? Wow...must be nice, you're one lucky gal!

Kelly said...

What a cute idea, those little votives. I love that you used baby jars.

That platter is goes perfectly on your shelf.

southerninspiration said...

Gotta love a hubby who pays attention!!! And KNOWS just what to buy! wowsers!
Cute votive ideas!!!

Suzanne

Hadley Coble said...

very cute!

What a great husband to get you just what you wanted! My husband probably doesn't even know where you would go to get one!

Laura said...

What a thoughtful hubby! Love the plate!
I remember when you first posted these little candleholders - it was my first introduction to Mod Podge - now I'm addicted! I'm definitely going to do some of these - we certainly have enough baby food jars around here!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Adorable votives--love them!

~ Sarah

Abigail Hutchinson said...

Go hubby! Woo hoo! Brownie points for him! Yeah that is me in the BHG! hehe! Isn't that the funniest thing ever! I was on their site in like Mid-November and answered the question and thought nothing of it...then a customer called me this week to congratulate me! hehehe! I had to wait patiently for my copy to come in the mail! It was super exciting!
and I just love your votive holders! No baby food jars for me, but I might have to find some fun little votive holders to jazz them up! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon said...

How sweet! The platter is perfect!

I love the votive idea too!

Victoria said...

Oh I likey the votive idea. My 3 year old would too!

I love your shelves and the platter looks great on there!

Susie Harris said...

What a cute idea! Wish I had saved some baby food jars for this project... I think Maddy and I will have to try this one day! Thanks

Our Complete Family said...

The votives are fun and turned out great!
The shelves look fantastic dear!

Liz said...

I am SO not normally a crafty person, but those votives are adorable! I may have to try this!

Darlene said...

What a cute idea for the votive holders!! They look so pretty too! What a wonderful hubby to get you exactly what you needed for your shelf!

Gina @ Six in the Country said...

Those votive holders are so creative and fun! I love repurposing things, and this is an amazing display!

Leigh said...

sweet!

kari and kijsa said...

Just catching up on our blogging...stopping by to say hello!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love that hubby for paying attention and giving you what a girl needs...square platters! That is an unanticipated perk of blogging...to have a place to drop hints about gifts you want! I love the votives too!
Carrie

Kasey said...

darn cute!!

Reese & Marie said...

1. You have got to be the most creative person I know. HOw old is your youngest who is doing this project? Could my almost 5 year old handle it? I'm thinking yes.

2. Your husband reads your blog. I love that. Your husband knows what a platter is, AND knows where to buy one. You're killing me here! So freakin' romantic.

Janelle said...

Isn't is great when they pay attention? My husband bought me something for my birthday that I had posted on my blog. It was sweet, even though it was a pot.

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

Cute idea!! Hmmmm...I was looking for a craft project to do with my daughter and it looks like I have found it!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! I am smitten with your shelves. cherry

T Lyn said...

Love your pillows. Very cute. I've never tried transfer paper. Maybe in the future.
As for the jars. I teach special needs students. I make all kinds with them. We sell them to staff and use the process of making them for vocational training. I think they turn out so cute.

Amber said...

What a sweet hubby you have! I love when mine pays attention to details and surprises me with things I've mentioned or "dreamed" about. Happy Anniversary!

MamaJenn said...

Those votives are beautiful! They give off such a lovely glow. Thanks for sharing this terrific idea.

adrienne said...

new at your site and just checkin things out. i hope you read this because i love your votives. i made some halloween votives like this ages ago. but, added a wire handle and glitter glue on the glass. they were really cute teacher gifts filled with candy.