1.27.2009

Inspire-Me Tuesday~

I'm taking a bit of a different approach to Inspire-Me Tuesday today. I have been thinking a lot about the nurturing the creative process in my life. I also feel the need to foster creativity in my kiddos. I think that one of the best ways to do that is to allow them to see their parents being creative and to show them the value we place on our creative pursuits.

So today I wanted to share a couple of the ways that I nurture the creative process in my own life.

First, I have an inspiration binder. Well actually I have a few. The one I'm sharing with you today is my decorating binder. (I also have one for crafts, and one that just miscellaneous inspiring stuff...photos, images, whatever I find that tickles my fancy.) I have it divided by rooms. When I get ready to throw out my old magazines or catalogs, I go through them and tear out the pages that I love. Then I stick them in page protectors and put them in my binder. This binder has inspired many a project in my home. And when I look through it, I see all images that I love, so it has become a "happy place" or sorts also.


Second, I wanted to share my notebooks. As you can see I have three of them. The large plaid one sits on my night stand. It is for miscellaneous ideas that occur to me in the middle of the night. I don't know about you, but that's when some of my best ideas occur. But I have to write them down, or they stir in my head all night and I can't sleep. Once I know they are safely on paper, I can finally settle down. The other two are divided into sections so that I can "file" my ideas and sketches (or I would never find them again.) I transfer any and all ideas jotted in my night-time notebook or on bits of paper throughout the day into these notebooks for later. I can't emphasize to you all how important these books are to my creativity. Ideas grow, you know. From a partial thought or a sketch into a full-blown something-or-other. That's how I get inspired!

Now, on a completely unrelated note. I have had several people ask me for ideas on how to tame kid clutter. You might think I know how to do this because I have four little kiddos. Well, I'm no expert by any means, but I do have a few tricks up my sleeve that I'd like to share. Thing is, I bet there are plenty of people out there in blogland who have wonderful ideas on how to store toys, and books, and art supplies and all other manner of kid paraphenalia, sooooooo....I'm holding a linky party. My very first. I'm working with Pretty Organizer from Pretty Organized Palace, and hosting it here on Wednesday, February 4th! So, my dear readers, be getting your ideas ready to share, and let's all meet up here on Wednesday and use that fun Mr. Linky thingie to share all our CREATIVE ideas on taming kid clutter. Hope to see you all here!
Now, go forth, inspire, and be inspired~

28 comments:

Pretty Organizer said...

Yeahhh!!! I'm first. Oh, such an inspiring post! I posted just a few minutes ago. Let the partying begin:)

I'm so excited to see what these great women have to offer. Thanks Wendy Lady!

Oh, should be featured tomorrow on Blissfully Domestic Home... check it out if you get a chance!
Loves,
Pretty Organizer!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

cool idea...hopefully I can join in..my son's room needs it. cherry

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Great idea!
Can't wait for the linky party!

The Bliss Journey said...

I love design journels. I tell my students and clients to make them.
Kathleen

Laura said...

I love the "middle of the night" notebook! Ain't it the truth that all good ideas happen then!
I just found my inspiration/idea binder last night - in the top of my son's closet. Found it because I was rearranging closet space to put away toys from my four-year-old's birthday party. I am SO looking forward to the storage linky party!
Have a great day!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

OMG, I am so with you on that lying awake at night with ideas swirling thing. That's a great idea to keep the notebooks by the bed, I'll try that.
Looking forward to the Organizing party!

duchess said...

I would love to have a chance to flip through your sketch book - you are so talented we could probably cut out & frame what's in there.
Can't wait for the clutter control party.

LuLu said...

I have been a ripping pages out of magazines and bought the protectors now I just need to put it all together! maybe today is that perfect day to do this! Can't wait for taming kid clutter!
LuLu

Marne said...

Thanks for posting Wendy. I am actually in the process of putting together an inspiration binder right now. Great ideas!

Betsy said...

Your drawings are amazing. Truly talented. I always am jotting things down here and there and then losing them. I need a binder...BAD!

Kelly said...

I seriously never thought of actually WRITING my ideas down...how novel is that! Thanks just for that small bit of advice..I'm takin' it! I'm off to buy me some super cute notebooks too!!!!
Love your blog!
Kelly

Shannon said...

I have a notebook with magazine tear outs too. It is so helpful. I can't wait until your party! :) I don't have any kids but I love learning organization tips. :)

Mary said...

I have to tell you I have been following your blog for quite a few months now and I love it! I tell everyone about it. My sisters who live back in Utah are always checking your blog and we are all inspired by you! I love the notebook and binder ideas. All of my ideas come to me in the middle of the night as well, sometimes even in my dreams. Weird huh? Anyway thank you for this blog. I love and appreciate all your ideas and time you put into this blog!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Mary...I hope you read these comments again...your comment made my day! So glad to know that I inspire people...really I am. And, you probably know this if you read my blog regularly, but I am a Utah girl myself transplanted out here to the East Coast...so I sure love to hear that I have fans in Utah!!!! Hooray!!!

paige said...

its always a treat to swing by & be inspired by you.
love your inspiration journal
xo

Stacey said...

I love your inspiration notebooks. That is actually on my agenda this week. My pictures are all in an ugly old brown binder.

Sandy Toes said...

I love your journal..that is a great idea!
-sandy toe

misty said...

what a great idea... the binder!!! instead of keeping the whole magazine or just the papers in a file - here they will be kept safe & in one place. love it!!!

The Graves' House said...

looking forward to your linky party! we can all use more organization in our lives:)

Glitter and Bliss said...

My wheels are turning.... I think I may have one little idea that really works for me. I'm looking forward to your linky party.

Holly said...

In some ways we are so alike big sis....

I love that you have 3 notebooks though. I only have 1, and lately I don't even use it much. :) I am waiting for you to make that fabulous dress stand drawing into a pillow for me ;)). LOVE YOU!!

Kasey said...

great idea!

Darlene said...

I LOVE your inspiration binders...I think I am going to do this so I am not so torn when I toss a magazine. I can't wait to see everyone's idea on kid clutter because even though I only have one she is like a whirlwind of more!

Ms. Tee said...

Your artwork is gorgeous, Wendy -you're so talented. :) I love your idea of the journal and leaving it near the bed!

Elyse said...

i love the organization of it all. i have started similar folders but next thing you know, i let it go and just save the entire magazine. i could build a fort (except so many of my faves seem to be going out of print. boo hoo)

what is a linky party? sounds fun!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

OH Elyse...a linky party is hosted by one blogger on a certain topic. Other bloggers post on that topic then come to the host blog and link their posts using a little gadget that the host blog will put up in their post. It sounds kind of complicated but it's really simple. If you want to play along, do a post, then come to my blog on Wednesday and link up...if you can't figure it out... email me and I'll be happy to help!

Our Complete Family said...

Love it... I have a bunch I need to stick in a binder right now!
I can't wait to see all the ideas...what FUN and an awesome help it will be!!!

Amber said...

Oh, I love my idea binders too! It is just a jolt of creativity to flip through it when I need inspiration. I spent a good chunk of my weekend going through a stack of old magazines that had piled up, pulling out my favorite pages and sorting them for my binders.