12.08.2008

We Need A Little Christmas~

Now for a little more Christmas around here...

This wreath is actually one that I bought to put up in the spring, but I'm trying different shades of green around here this year, and I loved the soft spring green with the cranberry red table runner! I added one of my "blingy" bead garlands from my formal tree to the candle holder with a small votive nestled inside....I love the way it looks kind of snowish (yeah, I know that's not a word.)


I have a bit of a snowflake theme going on this year, so I had snowflakes "fall" from the chandelier which sits above the dining table.



Then I wrapped some green crinckly ribbon around my folded books (it's a lot more mossy green than it looks in this photo) and dangled a snowflake in front of it. Love it!




A little dollar store glittery sign. I just love it!

A detail of my "cranberry" garland on our tree.

I love texture on a tree, so I add these twig balls.


I made me a few more of these sweet little felt birds to perch in our tree.

More snowflakes.


Dried oranges, I love their luminescent quality. So pretty AND traditional.


Yep, I live in a house with an 8-year-old...but honestly, what Christmas tree is complete without Darth?



And finally, our tree! After a two hour search on Saturday, this is the little beauty that came home with us! We set it up Saturday night, but then had a little light trauma when the strands I had saved to put on the tree didn't work. Soooo.... we didn't get the little lovely decorated until yesterday (hence my late post today...I usually do my posts the day before...but I digress). I have to confess....I'm a little bit of a control freak when it comes to decorating which is why I had a formal tree and a family tree in our last house. Then yesterday in Church we were discussing the "perfect mom syndrome" and our need to have perfectly decorated homes, perfectly cooked meals, to be beautiful, well-read, etc. etc. possibly at the expense of some of the more important things in our lives...like little kiddos who just want time with mommy instead of a fabulous dinner (or perfectly decorated tree). So I let go of the perfectionism and let my little ones do 90% of the tree decorating...okay, I admit, I did tweak a little (especially where they had put three or four ornaments on one poor little branch). The kids loved every second of it...and then sat back to see what they had done. And you know what? The tree is beautiful...perfectly so. And isn't that what Christmas is all about?

23 comments:

Lady of the Mote said...

it all looks lovely!

Carrie said...

Everything is great!

Darlene said...

I LOVE it all! Beautiful tree and ornaments. I LOVE the ribbon and snowflake on the book...BEAUTIFUL!

sherri said...

What a lovely tree. It's so charming and allows you to really focus on what's there instead of each item being swarmed by hoards of other decor.

Sandy Toes said...

How fun! We have Darth Vader too plus Madeline, Dora, Winnie the Pooh and many more...it is what makes it special!
-sandy toes

Damaris said...

I shared the orange picture on my blog linking back to yours of course. Your blog looks awesome!

Susan S. said...

Love the Snowflake-ish-ness (is that a word...lol!?!?!) and the orange slice on the tree. And who wouldn't want a little Darth Vader on the tree. I'm glad you heard the word about Super Mom's at church...it's a good lesson for us all (even if some of us aren't moms) to remember. We need to slow down, loosen up and enjoy the family, friends and fun traditions around us. Merry Christmas!

Glitter and Bliss said...

I love your tree!!! How beautiful!! I also love all your snowflake decor....especially the books with ribbon. Have a wonderful start to your week.

Ms. Tee said...

It's so, so pretty. I love the orange slices - that was unexpected so lovely! :)

Laura said...

Love your decorations! Thanks for reminding me what's important at the holidays (and all year) - letting the little ones help. We're decorating our tree tonight & this morning when my almost 4-year-old said he'd help, I felt that familar "oh no" feeling that the tree wouldn't be perfect. But it will be - even more so because he will help & he'll have memories of a wonderful family tradition!

Angie said...

It all looks great and I love the snowflakes!

Shannon said...

Everything looks so pretty! I love your tree and I love the topper. So cute!

Angela said...

Everything is beautiful! I hate to admit it, but I think I suffer from "Perfect Mom Syndrome", too. I had to let go of a lot of that when decorating our tree, too. (But like you, I went back after bedtime and did a little rearranging!) It is more about the time spent with our family than having everything perfect, right?
p.s. Love the dangling snowflakes!

Sheri Howard said...

Wendy, thanks for the comment and entry on my give away. It has been so fun to meet people all around the world! Your folded books reminded me: when I was young...in the 60's, my mom folded Readers's Digests, added a foam ball, sprayed them gold and made angels....I haven't see folded books for awhile...it is true, all things old are new again! Thanks for the memories!

Bridget said...

Nice post! It's hard for me to give up that control, too! ;)

Loving Darth!!!

Holly said...

Fabulous ideas!!! Seriously LOVING the book too. What is a Christmas tree without Darth? That really cracks me up! I am sure that my boys will follow suit.

Kasey Hunt said...

I like all of the ornaments. So festive.

Amber said...

It looks great! I love the twig balls and the dried oranges. And Darth. :-)

Leigh said...

I love it all! GOrgeous!

Lora said...

It all looks beautiful and, yes, your tree looks perfect! We also have Darth Vader on our tree--although I admit that I bought him for my husband:)

Emily said...

Great post. Love Darth! I also have an eight year old son so I can relate. Where did you get those adorable snowflake ornaments?

Wendy said...

Oh Emily...the best part is that the snowflake ornaments came from Dollar Tree! Oh yes...10 for $1!!!

Glamorous Life of a House Wife said...

Your decor is so much fun! I posted 2 days of my decor as well. I just love looking at other peoples!