12.12.2008

The Stockings Were Hung~

I am so excited about our Christmas stockings! One of the things I wanted to do last year and didn't get around to actually doing, was to get matching stockings for the whole family. But I have been collecting pictures from magazines, catalogs, etc. so that I could find the perfect stockings. I really love neutral colors for Christmas stockings, and I decided that I would make them this year so I could get just what I wanted. I wanted white matelasse for the girls' stockings and tan burlap/linen for the boys'. I also wanted to use what I had. So I had to compromise, but only a little.
I got just what I wanted for the boys' and you'd never guess by looking at them that they were made out of an old dress of mine. I hadn't worn it in years but I loved the fabric so much that I kept it around for just such an occasion.
I had a little white baby quilt that I used for the girls' stockings instead of matelasse, but it had the bonus of having a soft green border that made the perfect edge for the cuff. And the quilting gave them the texture I was looking for. I have been loving the initials I have seen tied to stockings all over blogland but all of my boys have the same first initial so I added these pretty little tags with all of our names made out of vellum and glitter-y alphabet stickers.


They look very pretty all lined up along the garland on our staircase.

Have a lovely weekend~

33 comments:

AndreaW123 said...

Lovely...so creative you are....using a favorite dress!!! These are just lovely. I want a new tree skirt for my kitchen tree...I had not thought of using a quilt...thank you Miss Wendy! Now I know just what that tree needs.

Ashley said...

I just love the garland and stockings on the banister!

Deserae said...

What gorgeous stockings!!! They look beautiful hung on the bannister with that wonderful garland!!! Happy Holidays!
~Des

Laura said...

Looking good at the Shabby Nest! Love it!

Shannon said...

I love those! You are so talented!

Bobbi Jo said...

The stockings are beautiful! You did a great job. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Lady of the Mote said...

they are lovely!

Holly said...

They are just soo classy, yet adorable. Like a breath of fresh air. You did such a fantastic job! And,...way to use your readily available resources.

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

So Sweet! I love the idea of the little name tags!

:-)
Cathleen

Susan S. said...

How Gorgeous! I love the soft pallette. And how cool is it that you've created these from items that you owned and loved. The tags on the stockings are great too....very good job!

Mandi said...

LOVE those stockings. . . I might even like them better than my own that I spent a fortune on at PB! Lol/sniffle.

Darlene said...

Those are so beautiful....you always come up with the greatest things!!

Kasey said...

You have wonderful ideas! I can't wait until I have a chance to try some of them out.

Miss(es) Canadian Pie said...

How pretty. And even more precious that they were #1 made by you and #2 came from fabric that was once something special.

Sandy Toes said...

I love how you did the "tags" so creative and pretty! What beautiful stockings they are!
-sandy toes

Carrie said...

Those are great love the tag idea I wish I had seen that yesterday I might have "borrowed" the idea. The garland is great too!

Emily said...

Those are amazing! Wow. You are so talented. Thanks for sharing.

Half of the Style Sisters said...

OOh I love the garland and the socks!

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} said...

Your stockings are beautiful! I love that you used an old dress and an old quilt. Great ideas!

Pretty Organizer said...

Yeah!! Glad kids got the letters! I'm sending out the last batch tomorrow... Then I'll breathe again.

Love those white stockings... and the tags! I've been looking for a project to glitter all up and that just might be it.

Your home looks sooo wonderful. Great pictures my dear:)

Have a great weekend!
Pretty Organizer

Glitter and Bliss said...

I absolutley love them!! I love your fabric choices...and made out of an old dress and quilt. That makes it soooo much more special. You inspire me. I having been working on pic taking of my boys profiles. I want to make your ornaments.

Ms. Tee said...

So pretty and elegant! I wish you'd sell some of these! :)

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

You are so clever and I love the materials that you used. I would never know that you compromised at all! Precious!
Carrie

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

You are so clever and I love the materials that you used. I would never know that you compromised at all! Precious!
Carrie

Peggy said...

I love the stockings,all of them came out beautiful and picture perfect!

megan said...

Wowweee! Those stockins' are purty! I think they look perfect and I would love them for my house.

lindsey said...

i love the tags - i may just have to borrow that idea!

and yay for you! you were the lucky winner at the pleated poppy! email me at thepleatedpoppy@gmail.com with the set of posy pins you choose and your address.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Love your stockings. I am wanting to do something different, but it will have to wait until next year. The wreaths on the windows are simple but make a beautiful and welcoming look. Have a wonderful weekend. Jackie

Randi said...

I absolutely love your stockings. I have been looking all over for stockings that blow me away and so far your stockings have come the closest.

Lora said...

Love them! You did a wonderful job on them!

jennifer said...

cute! i'm dying to make some too... you inspired me!

Amanda said...

so pretty! love the fabric.

Sarah @ ThriftyDecorChick said...

Those are really, really pretty. My favorite part is the tags!!