12.10.2008

Quick Ornament Project and a Little Tree Tweaking~


Some of you may remember the post where I created these silhouettes of my kiddos. Well, I've been enamoured of silhouettes ever since I started seeing them all over blogland. I remember that my mother had silhouettes of all of us kids on her wall while I was growing up, and I guess they just make me nostalgic.

Anyhoo, I decided that they'd make great ornaments for my tree this year. I just used the same technique as I did before. I took pictures of all four kiddos facing to the side (it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be considering I have two kiddos that are three and under). Then I printed their photos out and simply outlined them with a black Sharpie and colored them in. (This was easier in my book than tracing them onto black paper, but that's what most people do I think). Then I cut them out and Mod Podged them onto these little wooden disks I found at Michael's and painted with some craft paint. I wanted a black border around the edges but didn't trust myself to paint it, so I colored that with a Sharpie too. Then I hot glued on some pretty black satin ribbon for the hangers and wrote the name of each kiddo and the year on the back of their ornament. I figure I can do it again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that....






I made a couple of extra sets for gifts. Shhhhh.
Edited to add: I was just reminded in my comments that it was Kimba who made the first ornaments I saw online (of course, Cristin made some last year as well!) And I love giving credit where credit is due!

And finally, after all my virtuous speaking on letting the kids do the tree decorating, I came back and tweaked a little more. I added in this upholstery webbing as a garland. Isn't it fab? I can't get enough of this stuff. It really gives the tree a little extra zip!




Have a great Wednesday~

29 comments:

Amber, That's Me! said...

LOVE IT! WANT TO DO IT!

Joe Girl said...

So sweet, and simple! What a fabulous idea to do with my boys, before they grow up, as they seem to all too quickly these days!

THANKS!

Lady of the Mote said...

your silhouettes are beautiful

Bridget said...

What a sweet idea! Love the garland, too!

Cristin said...

I put silhouettes on our tree last year, and LOVED them! (You probably saw them...) I think they are some of my very favorite ornaments...

Your are lovely!

Amber said...

Love those silhouettes. I think I'll copy it and try to do one of my 2 year old. And the upholstery webbing as garland looks beautiful. Great idea!

coco said...

Love this! I have the silhouettes on my want to try list but don't think it will happen before Christmas!

Shannon said...

The silhouettes as ornaments is a great idea! I love that! Whoever is getting them as gifts is going to love them!! Love the webbing too!

Susan S. said...

What a wonderful idea regarding the silhouettes. I love seeing the ones of my nephews in frames but this is a super idea. The webbing's great too..what a cleaver idea.

Valarie Lea said...

That is a great idea!!! I think I will have to do this!

Darlene said...

Love those silhouette ornaments....so pretty for the tree! The webbing looks fabulous!

Emily said...

Great ornament idea! Love the webbing too.

AndreaW123 said...

I bought some wooden ovals at Walmart a few weeks back after seeing Kimba's ornaments that she made for grandparents....I love your's too!!! How pretty and what a great tradition to start...can I copy?

Glitter and Bliss said...

What a great idea!!! You did a wonderful job. I think I might just try this with my boys.

Wendy said...

Andrea...Thanks for reminding me that I saw them on Kimba's blog! I'm going to edit that in to my entry. ;-)

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Awwe, so precious!

xoxo,
Cathleen

Juice said...

I LOVE this idea and plan on doing it next year for Christmas gifts! Thanks for sharing your creativity with us non-creative types. :)

Barnes Yard said...

These are super cute! I've already made some but now I want ones like these too :) I really think the reason I love them is because it does remind me of when I was a kiddo.

Gina @ Six in the Country said...

I love this idea! I can see this coming soon to a Monday, Funday!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

OK, you have utterly convince me to give this a try, despite the fact that I am a little intimidated, and not very confident in my ability to make them look right. But we shall see! Thanks Wendy!
Carrie

Angie said...

Those would be awesome grandparent gifts! I am so loving the webbing as garland!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, I love these! Linking.

Carrie said...

how sweet are they!

Holly said...

I LOVE the silhouette ornanments!!!
I am soo copying you,....today!! If nothing else Christmas should at least be sentimental, right?

Sandy Toes said...

Those are just wonderful! I think those are my favorite Christmas ornaments this year!
-sandy toes

Ms. Tee said...

I don't know how I missed this post - these are adorable. I'm going to give it a try, too. ;)

Phillips Phamily Mama said...

We did the ornaments and they were a hit! Thanks for the help and idea!

I just did a post on them with a link to your site, if you want to see how ours turned out!

Thanks again!

Valerie said...

Love it!! Thanks so much for the brilliant idea! I have linked back to you on my craft blog, thecraftersfilebox.blogspot.com.

Thanks again!!

M.O.T.B said...

Thank you for sharing these and offering an opportunity to document my quickly growing little boys' Christmas!