12.03.2008

Quick and Easy Christmas Decorating Projects~

Thought I'd share with you all a couple of quick and VERY easy Christmas decorating projects.


First up...These cute little Christmas Tree Topiary thingies. So last month I pulled out all of my past issues of Christmas magazines. (I haven't had a chance to get all organized and put pages in an inspiration binder or anything smart like that.) I had a wonderful time flipping through ALL the pages, though. And I made me a list of the projects I thought I could realistically tackle.
I'm a big fan of neutral colors...whites, tans, blacks. And in one of the magazines there was a wonderful picture of some little topiary trees made of twine. I decided I could realistically tackle a project like that. I bought me some tree forms, and searched high and low without luck for twine. But what I did find was some wonderful chenille yarn. I fell in love. And now I have some fluffy, snowy trees. Every bit as pretty as the twine version.


If you want to make your own fluffy Christmas Tree Topiaries all you've got to do is find some tree forms (you can get them in the floral department of pretty much any craft store.) Since I was using white yarn, I made sure to buy white ones, but you can always spray paint them to match whatever color you are using. Then, starting at the bottom, use a dot of hot glue to attach the end of the yarn and wrap upwards. Use dots of hot glue every once in a while to keep the yarn in place. You will have to use extra hot glue on the top to make sure the yarn covers completely as it coils in to the middle. It took me about five minutes per cone. Simple. Easy. Pretty.


This wreath was inspired by one I saw in BHG. After my family picture project, I had been wanting to use upholstery webbing in another project. So when I saw a pretty wreath in this month's BHG, I decided to try it. This one was super easy too. I simply used an upholstery tack to fasten the end of the webbing to the back of the wreath form, then wrapped it all the way around. Looped a length around the top (fastened with another couple of upholstery tacks) and added a bow (again with an upholstery tack)! Simple, rustic and very pretty. I love the way it adds a touch of texture against the mirror. Annnnd...no burnt fingers from glue guns!

Happy Crafting~

36 comments:

coco said...

Love these ideas...very simple yet elegant too! I have some of those tree forms, looks like another project to add to the list (for next year)!

Patricia said...

I love both of these ideas so much and the best part is the items are readily available and can be adapted for individual decor!
Awesome

AndreaLeigh said...

oh wow! i love the wreath and i have a cone sitting around for a topiary and no idea what to do with it. i'll have to go and get me some yarn!

Leigh said...

GREAT ideas. I will use both of these.

Carla said...

you can find twine at walmart in the hardware dept. with the rest of ropes, and clothes line they have, not with crafts but like tools.
but I love the white trees I would like to see how a twine tree looks christmasy.
the wreath is great I may have to do that one.

Holly said...

CUTE CUTE stuff! So funny, I have a few projects in the works with tree forms. I LOVE the little wreath.

I didn't get a chance to tell you that inpire me Tuesday really did 'inspire me'. What a gorgous room!

Ms. Tee said...

How pretty! And the little wreath is adorable! :)

Kari said...

Love them both but I am especially drawn to the wreath - I am always looking for a new way to use jute webbing... I have it holding up the curtain valance in my bedroom and am debating on using it for another craft project, but this is too cute!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Soooo pretty! I have the wreath one saved...such a cool idea. cherry

Kasey Hunt said...

I really like the tree. It's very pretty. Simple, affordable ideas. Way to go!!

Gray Matters said...

I love them - great minds think alike, sort of, I just made some tree topiaries with beads, but I love how fluffy yours are.

Christy said...

Love this wreath! I then went back and saw the family picture project and love that too!

I'm so glad you share your talent and creativity :)

southerninspiration said...

I've always loved upholstery webbing....the red and tan! I LOVE your wreath!! Cute!

Suzanne

Shannon said...

Those are both such pretty ideas! I love the white trees!

Victoria said...

Love the wreath and the trees! I have enjoyed checking in to see your Christmas decor.

Valarie Lea said...

Those are great ideas!!! I think I will be trying these. :)

Sandy Toes said...

Wow..what a wonderful ideas!!! I love them both!!! So easy but great!!
Thanks for sharing!
-sandy toes

Carrie said...

great ideas i love them and so simple thanks for sharing!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Great projects! Loved that wreath when I saw it in BHG, and yours turned out fantastic!!

Christina said...

That is the most fantastic wreath!

Betsy said...

That wreath would look SO good in my house. JEALOUS!

Laura said...

Love these ideas! I think the chenille yarn is perfect - warm & yummy!
Quick question on a post from the past - you had some tags you made-looks like shipping tags? They looked aged - did you do that yourself and if so, how? Thanks!

Wendy said...

Laura...do you know which post you are referring to...I think I know which ones you mean, but I want to be sure.
Thanks!

Melissa said...

The wreath is so cool girl!! Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Of course I can't find it now : ) While I was looking I did notice that you use some great different looking tags - some are brown (Oct. 27th "nest" tag) and some are sort of a lighter brown. I soaked some of my regular manilla tags in a bowl of tea today & they look pretty good so far! I might be onto something! Thanks!

Amber said...

I love that wreath. I also saw it in BHG, and yours looks just like the magazine! Very rustic and pretty.

bonavita said...

Wow - I just happened by your site. It is terrific. What great ideas. Thanks!

Susan S. said...

Beautiful Blog....I love all your simple, but great, ideas!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

The trees are so cute! I was really drawn to the neutral colors as soon as I saw your photo. And the wreath is so cute!
Carrie

Rachel said...

Love these ideas!! And the fact that they are easy, yeah you just rock!! Thanks!q

Holly said...

Those trees are great!

Miss(es) Canadian Pie said...

I'm in love with the cone trees! So very pretty.

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing your great ideas! Sooo cute!

Kerri said...

OOOH! I saw those cones at the $store today! And I bout candle sticks not knowing what to put on them! I'm doing that! Thanks!

Amber said...

I also admired that wreath in BHG this month. I love your trees! I definitely want to try that project. Very easy but so festive and perfect to add decorative height. :) I adore that you used soft chenille as your yarn choice. I will remember that idea!

Elyse said...

hi wendy! thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such sweet comments! i love the tutorials on your blog and will definitely add yours to my list to keep up with all of your wonderful creativity! xo