12.22.2008

An Early Christmas Present...A Pixie Tutorial~


I have had so many requests for a Pixie Tutorial that I decided it was high time I did one... Here it goes...



You will need:

  • A black and white or sepia toned photo of a baby or small child. You will want a full body not just a head shot.
  • A page from an old book, newsprint, or music
  • Light weight cardboard or cardstock
  • Scissors (you can also use an Xacto knife)
  • Stick glue
  • Distressing ink
  • Glitter glue (optional)
  • Any other embellishments you may want to add



1. Begin by gluing the photo and the book page to the cardboard or cardstock. REMEMBER...the glue stick is your friend...every square inch of the photo should be affixed to cardstock...and a good 6" square of the book page (or music or newsprint) also.


2. After the glue has dried, cut out around the baby image. I use scissors for this step, but you may wish to use an Xacto - whatever you find easier.



3. I then freehand a wing pattern out of a bit of the cardstock. Just make one...you can reverse it for each wing.



4. Trace the image onto the glued book page.



5. Cut out the wings.



6. Take your distressing ink and smudge it on each wing. I like to use a tissue and then blend it with my fingers, but you can follow the directions on the package if you want ;-) I always make the wings darker on the edges and lighter in the center.



7. This next step is optional - edge the wings with the glitter glue. I may choose to omit this step depending on what sort of pixie I'm making...is it for Christmas or Halloween? etc.
8. After the wings dry, glue them to the back of the cut-out baby image.
9. You can create a little stand by gluing a small piece of cardstock folded into a "V" onto the back of the pixie at the bottom...or you may not need to do this depending on how you would like to display them.



This is the basic pixie...now you can do a couple of different things...you can leave it as is...or you can embellish it. (I, of course, think you should embellish it!)






For my Halloween pixies, I added little witch hats made from black construction paper...for my Christmas pixie I added some more glitter glue and a banner that says "Happy Holidays"...for this New Years' Pixie I added a cute little banner flag that says 2009. The possibilities are endless.
Good luck with your pixies! If you make some, make sure to post them and let me see how they turn out!
Happy Crafting~

31 comments:

AJ said...

Too cute!!!

Ms. Tee said...

These are sooo cute. :) Thanks for taking the time to write out the steps!

Angie said...

Thank you so much for the directions on how to do this adorable project! I am going to shoot for doing one for Valentine's Day! Like Christmas, it will be here before we know it!

Rachel said...

Okay I'm so loving you right now! ;)
Thanks so much for the tutorial, now having looked at it, these are easy and beyond cute!! I better get my buns in gear for v-day! :)

THANK YOU! AND Merry Christmas!!

Kelly said...

These are adorable! I have some great pictures of my parents as babies to do this with

Kasey Hunt said...

Thanks for taking the time to show us all how to make these. I can't wait to try it. Merry Christmas.

Elyse said...

hi wendy! great instructions and photos! thanks for sharing. xo

Rambling Girl said...

Love it ever since I saw it back in October!
Thanks for always sharing different ideas! I love coming here!

Darlene said...

I LOVE your little pixies so I think after Christmas I am going to have to give them a try! So CUTE!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Glitter and Bliss said...

Absolutely precious!!! I'm gong to have to make one on these for the new year. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

Have just found your blog and am SO enjoying my visit. So precious!!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I really like the distressing ink that you used. It looks so great on the pages!
Carrie

Leigh said...

Thank you! I am going to make one for NY's. (I did one for Christmas). I will post after the holidays and link to you.

Jenny said...

Love it!! I copied your pixies for Halloween and did current photos of my kids. Christmas is almost here, so I think the angel pixies will wait unitl next year. Love your blog! I gave you a mention on my blog last week...thanks for introducing me to Wisteria!

Shannon said...

I was wondering how these were made! Those are so cute! Thanks for the directions.

Merry Christmas!!

Kerri said...

Now that's just adorable!

Blondie's Journal said...

This looks like something I could truly try. I think I have most of the supplies. Thanks for the great instructions!
Janie

Cristin said...

Delightful!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww these are darling! Tons of personality. I'll be linking.

jenjen said...

Your pixie is darling! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Your blog is very cute!

Jennifer

Karyn said...

Cannot wait to try!
Merry Chrsitmas and a blessed New Year!

Couture de Papier said...

thank you glad I found your blog!

Alysa said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I've been wanting to make one since your Halloween post. Love your blog. Thanks again.

Lipstick and Laundry ~Jen said...

Thank you for sharing... I just posted mine... I made them for my grandma's birthday!

Mind Your Manors said...

Those are REALLY cool!

Amy

mommax3 said...

I always wanted to know how to do these. Thanks so much for the tutorial! Can't wait to try it :)

judicreations said...

That is so cute. You've done a great job. Thank you for sharing and for giving us a tutorial. I think I'll have to try one too.
come by and visit when you have some time.
Judi

Adelia said...

Oooooo...Too cute! I'm new to your blog, so Hi! And thanks for sharing this. Definitely going on the to do list!! :-D

Carli@fearfullyandwonderfullymade said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sahring this project, I was making photo ornaments tonight and the thought of your pixie's and decided to make pixie ornaments, they look amazing on my tree! I also made magnets out of the Pixies, and they are just darling! I'm linking to this post! Thanks Again!

lauren@WESTFURNITUREREVIVAL said...

these are too cute. love them

Phredfamily said...

I copied you! Wanted to share:
http://welcomedtempest.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-caught-pixie.html

Thanks for the awesome idea!