11.28.2008

A finished project and a little fabric cleaning tip~

I just wanted to share another pillow from my earlier teaser. Here is my bee pillow! I added some black and white ticking to the back of this one and I just love the way it turned out. (And for those who have been asking, the bee and the crown are both my drawings - I just scanned them into the computer, and used photo transfer paper to transfer them to the fabric.)




Coming soon to an Etsy store near you!


And now for life with a toddler. The other day I walked into the boys' room to find One's headboard had been drawn all over with ballpoint pen by Three. My heart sunk. I made the headboards and I just love them. But then I remembered a little tip that the Hubby and I have learned from photographing weddings. DIAPER WIPES! Yes, you read it right. DIAPER WIPES. Now, since we have a toddler in the house, I have them handy. Since many of my readers have no babies at home, I realize that you probably don't have them hanging around your house. But, babies or not, I would encourage you to get some. They get stains out of all sorts of fabric. We would carry them with us when we did bridal and wedding portraits because they remove stains from satin, silk and other fancy-type fabrics without leaving "water" marks - and they work just as well for cotton and other less-fancy fabrics. I use them on my sofas between launderings of the slipcovers. (Oh, and my personal opinion, is that the generic ones work best for this. Target wipes are my favorite - but this isn't an advertisement- so try 'em until you find a favorite.) Anyhoo, I went, grabbed me about ten wipes, and after some elbow grease...all of the pen was gone. GONE. Diaper wipes. They're not just for bottoms anymore! ;-)


Before the ballpoint pen attack: So you have something to compare the after to!
After cleaning up the mess: Do you see any pen marks?...Neither do I! Hooray!


Have a wonderful weekend~

20 comments:

Betsy said...

Love, love, love the pillow! Great tip...I have my share of diaper wipes around here. I will have to try that.

Jen r. said...

I use baby wipes or everything too! Did you know they also work great t getting paint off of wood molding! Love the pillow!

Christy said...

Love this bee pillow! Glad to know they will soon be on etsy!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

That pillow is too cute! I love the ticking on the back.
Congratulations on winning the quilt. Lucky, lucky girl!!! The pattern you chose is adorable. Be sure to share photos when it arrives one of these days.
M.L.

Darlene said...

I LOVE your pillows you are making....can't wait to see your Etsy store!

Thanks so much for the tip on baby wipes. I know your heart sank when you saw that! I am so glad it all came out!

Our Complete Family said...

The pillows are just way too cute hun!
Thank heavens for diaper wipes~ we are always busting them out to clean something here, too!
Happy Friday~ Les

Carrie said...

Love the pillow I love baby wipes they are great for getting make up off of you shirts too!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Cute pillow, Wendy! You're a great artist to draw that yourself. And what a good tip on the babies wipes. I'm one of those who does not have them around the house, but I might have to get some.

Shilo said...

Your bee pillow is so sweet! Thanks for sharing!
Good to know about Target wipes. Haven't tried them at all and wasn't going to try any more generics after the last bunch I bought, so I'll have to give them a try!
Have a great weekend, Wendy!

Glitter and Bliss said...

I absolutely love the pillow. Yes....diaper wipes can work magic. I use them all the time!!

ohio12 said...

I use wipes for everything! I like them better than those expensive CLorox wipes. They don't disinfect of course, but for a quick wipe down on the powder room sink or almost anywhere..they are the right wetness.

Miss(es) Canadian Pie said...

That is such a great tip! I had a sweatshirt that got some ink on it and I was devastated bc for the life of me, I could not get it out. You're pillows are so great!

Shannon said...

Can't wait to see your etsy shop!! :)

Sarah @ ThriftyDecorChick said...

That's so funny -- years ago when my best friend got married, right in the middle of pictures, the photographer saw something on her dress and got the wipes out! It worked perfectly. (You don't live in Indiana do you?) :) I use them for all kinds of stuff now!

Wendy said...

Hi Sarah...no we're not from Indiana...but I think it's a fairly well known trick among wedding photographers. :-)

Sandy Toes said...

No pen marks I see...we have had our share of that! Magic eraser works great too!
-sandy toes

Valarie Lea said...

You have such a talent for drawing!

kari and kijsa said...

Love the pillow!!
Hope you had the most blessed Thanksgiving!! Thank you so much for your sweet words!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

momstheword said...

I can't believe the wipes took out the marks. Awesome! I know that white toothpaste takes crayon markings off the wall. Wish I'd known that years ago. Loved the pillow!

Holly said...

I go out of town for a few days and miss soo much fun stuff!! Very very cute pillow! You already know my take on the whole diaper wipe thing. :) and CONGRATULATIONS on the Quilt,...it is absolutely darling!