10.24.2008

A little bit of this and A little bit of that~

This post may be a little haphazard and wordy, but bear with me my dear readers...I have a lot to say today (and hopefully some of it will be interesting).

First, I want to thank all of you who had such positive things to say about my little projects yesterday. It gave me a bit of a big head, but after I came back down to earth, I decided that I would definitely pursue my idea of creating a line of home accessories using some of my drawings. And judging by the response of some of you who are interested in purchasing some tees...I might just do some of those too. (The Princess wore her shirt to school today, and it looked priceless!) So thank you again...and watch for some stuff coming soon - just in time for Christmas might I add in a shameless self-promoting sort of way.


Second, my front yard is a fairly steep hill of grass with two trees in a planter bed at the bottom. The trees are now mostly leafless, and on Wednesday I decided that I would hike down to see just how many leaves were left because I'm not about to rake that hill unless all and I do mean ALL the leaves are off the trees. As I stood under one of the trees and looked up, low and behold, there was a perfect bird's nest. I was so excited I was almost giddy. As soon as the Hubby got home I made him promise to get it out of the tree for me as soon as it got light. I thought he'd make fun of me, but he got this cute little "yeah, I understand you after all of these years" kind of smile on his face, and as soon as he could he pulled that little nest down for me. The kiddos were a bit worried that I was going to make a little bird homeless, but after I assured them that the bird had moved out of the nest, they were almost as excited as I was.







Isn't she lovely? My quest this weekend is to find the perfect container to display her in. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Third, I wanted to ask a furniture rehab opinion. This little side table was a hand me down from some friends of ours. I love the shape, but the color (it's a little more yellow than it looks in this photo) and the visible knots in the wood, just don't do it for me. It sits in our "library" next to the Hubby's leather chair and in front of a chocolate brown wall. So my question is this...what color do you all think I should paint this baby? Black certainly won't do, since it would look monstrous against the chocolate brown, but I'd like it to look sort of masculine since the "library" has kind of a men's reading room feel to it. I could use any suggestions you all may have.

And finally, I was thrilled to receive this beautiful award from Kari and Kijsa. I love their blog, and have frequented it for quite a while. They have exquisite taste and are very inspirational. So imagine my glee when they gave me this award. I mean here is what they said on their blog...

We want to succeed in sparking creativity in the lives of others for that
is how we measure our success. In short...we try to each and every minute of
every wonderful day be "Designing for Life." And so...in the spirit of design
uniqueness and creativity...we wanted to honor some truly special and wonderful
blogs that we felt represented this philosophy to the fullest extent...so with
great fanfare and great hoopla...please join us in honoring the following blogs
with our very own kari&kijsa "Designing for Life" Award...


So thank you Kari & Kijsa. This is truly an honor. Truly.

I am supposed to pass this on to two other blogs that I feel the same way about. I had a hard time narrowing it down, but I have decided to pass it on to:

Joy at Joys of Home and Kimba at A Soft Place to Land. Both of whom inspire me daily.


Join me here next week when I promise to reveal the half bath/laundry room renovation! (I'm not naming a day, but it will happen next week...for real this time)


Have a wonderful weekend~

20 comments:

kari and kijsa said...

We truly, truly, truly love your blog (that table is fab BTW)! Congratulations on a wonderful creative inspiration for others!

Have a great weekend!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Janelle said...

I love that little end table...how charming! With the pale color and the distressed look, it is quintessential New England. If you want to make it more masculine, I would go with a a dark red, not quite burgundy, and distress it with black or dark brown. Or go with a dark forest green, and distress it with a black or dark brown. It depends on the existing color of the room.

Twice as Nice said...

What about a golden yellow color inspired by the rug? I think it would go great with all the chocolate.

Kimba said...

You are so sweet! Thank you for passing your award on to me.

I love the new look of your blog! When did it go up? Beautiful.

And I love your table too. I have one just like it that I haven't rehabbed yet. You've inspired me! Would a darker green work for the room it's in?

Kimba

Wendy said...

Thanks Kimba, I'm glad you like my new look...I put it up last week.

Shannon said...

Congrats on your award!

Love the nest!

What about a darker sage green?

duchess said...

Congratulations on your award - it's well deserved.
I was thinking green for the table as well. I just love green & brown together.

Let us know what you come up with.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Good for you!! You truly should sell your creations! I am amazed at what you can do! Have a wonderful weekend and congrats on your award! :)
Carrie

Darlene said...

Wow Wendy...you are famous!!!!! Great award!!

Oooo that is a perfect nest!!! Can't wait to see where it ends up! No help on the color of that little desk but I can't wait to see it after it's make-over.

Holly said...

Congratulationas on the newest of awards to add to your collection. That little bird nest is really so precous- you do need a cake stand for its home.

Try to remember us little people on your rise to fame. :)

Sidney (Sixy Mama) said...

Love, love, love your blog!

You're now on "my list"!!

Sandy Toes said...

Congrats on that beautiful award..you inspire me and all your decorating..can't wait to see what is happening next week!!!

Have a good Friday!
-Sandy Toes

Ms. Tee said...

Hi Wendy :)
That nest is just wonderful, I love it. Can't wait to see what you do with it - everything you do is always so pretty.
Congratulations on that lovely award and I love your new header, too!

Laura said...

Wendy -
You are not crazy! You should definitely without a doubt follow your dream to create! You are truly talented with an amazing eye for decor and from the drawings you've shown, a great artist as well! It would be a shame for you to not pursue this. Have no doubt that you can do this - you can!
I love the table - I was thinking of a cream color, my second choice would be sage green.
And I agree with Holly - your little birds nest needs a delicate cake stand.
Laura

Jen r. said...

Comgrats on your award! American accents makes a great color called Nutmeg.. it's like a medium tan.. it would be great in there...

sue-donym said...

What about staining it? Maybe a mahogany? Really though, how would I know? That's why I come here.

Betsy said...

great table....i could use that right now in my bedroom. can't wait to see it finished.

bec4 said...

I think black would look good--or a very dark espresso brown, darker than the wall. I have a chocolate brown wall and white trim and i have some black frames on the wall that I really like with the chocolate. Congrats on the award!

Sher's Creative Expressions said...

How about a dark, dark red? That's my opinion :)

Blessings,

Sher

Amber said...

Congratulations on your award! :) And your decision to pursue making some shirts & home decor items with some of your original designs! So exciting! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I think that if I was you, I might keep the table kind of neutral. Maybe a shade darker but still in the tan family? I really like Gobi Dessert (Behr brand). It's a good neutral tan shade. If you distress or wash it with a darker brown, it will deepen the tan even a little more, and I think that would look great against the brown chair and chocolate wall! A little lighter shade to add some contrast, but still masculine enough for leather & your hubby. :)

Let us know what you decide!