10.31.2008

Laundry/Half Bath Reveal...Finally!

Today is the long-awaited, much anticipated (by me at least) reveal of our laundry room/half bath! I believe in giving credit where credit is due, so I want to start out by saying that this whole design was really a collaborative effort between me and the Hubby. He has a great eye for design, and we really planned this thing together right from the start. Besides that, he did all the hard stuff in here (anything construction related) I painted and did the decorating. So, ya know, he deserves a little pat on the back.


And now for those of you who care at all why it has taken so long for us to finish, I have a little story about the reason (I promise to be brief). Some very good friends of ours had a "minor" catastrophe with their house. What started out as simply having a french door to their deck replaced ended up being a major remodel of one side of their house. The contractor who was putting in the door discovered a problem with their subfloor which was rotting. (Hey the house is over 200 years old, so what do you expect?) The rotting floor discovery led to a cracked beam discovery which led to a structural engineer telling them that they had to brace up the second floor...yada yada yada. So since the Hubby is a home improvement contractor, he helped them put the whole thing back together. And since this project was in addition to his other job commitments, he spent his spare time there working on their house instead of at our house. And you know what? That's okay with me. We love our friends. Their house is now fine. And our laundry room/bathroom is now finished. Sooooo after that super long explanation....here's the laundry/bath...



We went for a cottage-y farmhouse feel...
I really wish I had some before pictures, but the Hubby had torn out everything before we even moved in. I'm not exaggerating. There was no floor, no vanity, not even a toilet. He had to put a toilet in the first day we lived in the house. True story.

I love this mirror. Picked it up forever ago. It's followed us from house to house, but it looks perfect here. (I'll have to take it with us if we ever move though!)

One of my favorite things about this bathroom...the little vanity and the faucet! We had to have storage, but didn't want to take up too much room so we found this little darlin' at Home Depot. I love the fact that it looks cottagy like an old farm sink. And I *heart* that faucet!


Here is one of the locker baskets I had tucked away, it was too wide for the shelves I'll show you in a minute, but it looks great on the floor with extra towels tucked inside!


Uh, so yeah, what do I say about this...it's the toilet. Ahem. But what I really wanted to show is the beadboard wainscotting....it's 4 feet high with a great ledge on it. The wall behind the washer and dryer has beadboard all the way up to the ceiling...a focal wall if you will! And on the window...a little mistreatment. Just used remnant fabric from my mudbench and upholstery tacks.

This is the shelf on the other wall above the washer and dryer. I adore how it turned out! My cute feather lamp found a home there. And I love the idea of the old farm wire basket holding extra TP. Hey, at least my guests will know where it is if they should run out ;-) The sign reminds me that I should make things easy on myself (even though I do at least 10-12 loads of laundry of week.)


A great idea for holding those pesky drier sheets. (And q-tips - never know when you might need 'em.)



The shelf with the washer/dryer...see the little green light on the washer...yeah, it's running...pretty much always! :)

A little side note for those of you with design-oriented minds. We decided to go ahead and mix metals here...all of the fixtures are a brushed nickel, and the accents are an oil rubbed bronze (or a painted black...it all looks the same to me) but we figured, if we're aiming to look cottage, then we can mix and match finishes because it gives it an acquired-over-time feel. Besides I like the way it all looks together - which is what really matters.



Oh, and these pumpkins? Not in the bathroom...in the kitchen....just here to remind me to say Happy Halloween!

Have a lovely weekend~

56 comments:

Betsy said...

Looks awesome! I am quite impressed. Have a Happy Halloween.

ROXY said...

I absolutely love it!! What great colors!! If you don't mind me asking, what is the dimension of the room? We are toying with the idea of bringing our washer ans dryer into our half bath but weren't sure if they would be too crammed. Looks great and thanks for sharing:)

Belle said...

I am in love with it! I love the simplify sign and how you have the toilet paper in the basket. It just looks FAB! Fantastic job! I also really love the bead board so much. Now for my question... What camera do you use? I just must know!

The Idaho Olsens said...

I love it...it is wonderful. I love the bathroom faucet. We have the same ones in our house. They aren't installed yet, but we have them in the house for the day we get to the bathroom redo...and the best part we got them on clearance at home depot for $35.00 a piece...i love clearance items. I love the cottage look and feel...I may to "borrow" some of your ideas! Love your blog and all your ideas thanks for sharing your talents with us!

Lora said...

It looks great! I love beadboard!!

Holly said...

OMGoodness!!! Wend- it turned out amazing. I am in awe. The beadboard is fantastic, and all of the accessories are just the perfect touch. Now, could ya please just travel 3000 miles to do mine!! :)

Jen r. said...

It looks great!!!

Michelle said...

Absolutely beautiful...I love how simple it is. I need to learn simplicity. :)

Michelle

Jen M said...

It looks WONDERFUL, well worth the wait!

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} said...

I love it. All of it. I'd say it was worth the wait. You and your hubby do great work!

Charmingdesigns said...

Love love love your bathroom. I also like the simplicity of tying the ribbon around the pumpkins! Laurie

Sandy Toes said...

Oh my goodness, where can I possibly begin??? I just love it...love it...I love the bead board...the shelf with the wire basket and tp...so cute and fun! How can you make tp look so good?????

I would sit in there and just admire it daily!
-sandy toes

sherri said...

I lurve it! I think the sink jewelry is charming but my fave part is the beadboard and especially the way you "framed" it out in the corners. What a lovely place to get clean.

Wendy said...

Hi Belle...I use a Nikon D60....I was going to buy a D40, but the Hubby, who is also a photographer, insisted on the D60 and I'm glad...I love it!

And Sherri...I love the beadboard too. The Hubby's idea to frame the corners out. He deserves a lot of credit for his attention to detail :)

duchess said...

What a great project.
I love the wainscotting & the shelf.
You & hubby did good.
Thanks for showing us.

Protege said...

Hi Wendy, I found your place through Holly (you are sisters, right?).
I can see that creativity and style runs in the family.;)
With that said, my own sister would have loved what you did with your bathroom, you have similar taste.
Happy Halloween.:)

Victoria said...

Wendy, the bathroom looks beautiful! Your hubs did an outstanding job! I love the bead board and the cottage feel. Also heart the fabulous sink/vanity.

Everything is decorated perfectly as well!

Laurel MacD said...

We're getting ready to put beadboard in the girls room - I love the corners framed out, and the big ledge. Your laundry rooms looks like you might actually want to stay there!

Bridget said...

So cute!!! :)

Traci said...

OH, it look terrific!!! You did a superb job!

Ms. Tee said...

What a great job - it's so pretty!

Darlene said...

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! I can't pick one thing cause I LOVE it all....can you tell I LOVE it????

Hope you have a Happy Halloween!

My Place of Peace said...

Congrats, Wendy! What a beautiful room! Should make the chore of laundry a bit easier, eh? I actually don't mind laundry...if I had a room like this, I think it could become pure delight! :)
BTW, you take such beautiful pics!

thecozyloft said...

What a wonderfully cottage-y room! I adore your accessorizing, too!!

Magpie Interior Design said...

Good GAH! I LOVE IT!!! Ok, we are totally separated at birth. Have you seen my bathroom inspiration board on my blog? Now I am convinced. LOL.

Great job!

~Stacy

Joanna said...

It turned out great! I love it.

Happy Halloween!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Wendy, I LOVE how it looks! The "focal wall" of wainscoting looks so pretty, and the shelf above is so charming. It is gorgeous! Have a happy Halloween! :)
Carrie

Kasey Hunt said...

Looks great. I love the color scheme.

Christy said...

Your room looks amazing! The shelf and "Simplify" sign are my personal favorites. I would love to do my laundry in a room like that!

I also like your pumpkins on the stand with the ribbon. What a pretty way to dress up a pumpkin.

I've added you to my blog list too!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Angie said...

I think it is just beautiful! I love everything, especially the shelf with all the cute stuff on it! Love the lamp in there!

Liz said...

Fantastic!
Happy Halloween!
Hugs,
Liz & Mabel

Sam said...

It turned out great! I love the mix of finishes. You both deserve big pats on the back.

Laura said...

Congratulations on your room being done! It's truly beyond beautiful! I love all the mixed hardware - perfect feel to everything! You & the hubby are VERY talented! What a pretty place to do laundry! I'll be over with my laundry basket later...

Shannon said...

Your laundry room looks awesome! I love the bead board and colors. I love having a lamp in my laundry room too. We never turn it off so it makes it seem like such a peaceful room. :)

Amber said...

The bathroom looks great! Very cozy and cottagy. Thumbs up to you and your hubby for all your design work and execution! I'm sure you smile every time you walk into that finished room. I know I would! :)

Emily said...

Wow, sooo cute! Love the sink and I have the same adorable faucet in one of my bathrooms. The shelf above the washer/dryer is sooo great!

Debs said...

That looks so great! I really like the loo roll basket! :)

AJ said...

It's gorgeous! If mine looked like that I'd be skipping down the hallway to do laundry:) Great job!!

bec4 said...

What a great redo--I love the little shelf up high and the attention paid to that--it really does make a difference, doesn't it?

An Accomplished Woman said...

Happy Halloween. What an awesome job you did. It is beautiful.

Chris said...

I'm in LOVE. I love the paint colors! I love the wire baskets! I LOVE how you chose to do beadboard all the way up on the wall behind the washer/dryer. Perfection!

tales from an O.C. cottage said...

WOWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

M ^..^

Joy said...

Your laundry/bathroom looks beautiful.
What a happy place to do your laundry!

Simply This and That said...

Wow! It looks great! You guys did an awesome job. We're right in the middle of re-doing our little entryway, and using beadboard with a little ledge! I'll be posting on my blog soon, so be sure to pop over and see! And Thanks for talking about the different colors of your fixture and such! our home was built with all chrome and brushed nickle fixtures. But I so wanted to incorporate the bronze and some black. i just wasn't sure what or how to. SO Thank you! Perfect timing on your post. ;o) ooxx`jodi

Sher's Creative Expressions said...

Great job!!

Blessings,

Sher

Wendy said...

Hey Roxy...sorry I didn't get back to you sooner...the room is fairly small...about 8x8. Hope this helps!

Becki said...

Love the laundry room/bath! Thanks for sharing your ideas. I used an old "wooden" tea canister for my dryer sheets. It's such fun to use objects in the way they were not intended (like your basket of tP), isn't it?

Screaming Meme said...

I love your blog! You have great taste! :)

Kerri said...

Hey, I just cam across your blog and will definitely come back! I noticed the picture you have hanging above the toilet. It look slike it would be a great amtch to one I have in my kitchen, kindof the tuscan feeling one. Can I ask you where you found it? I'd love to have 2 more to make a set of 3 for my wal that runs from my kitchen to my dining room. If you'd like you can email me at kerripchef@netzero.com or leave a comment here and I'll try to remember to come back and check! Thanks!

Wendy said...

Hi Kerri...I actually got that painting at Target a few years back. I'm not sure if they still have any like them. Wish I could be of more help. :)

Linda said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this blog.... first time here and love what you have done. Thanks for sharing it. My question. Where did you get the SIMPLIFY sign??? I would love to have one. It is my motto for this year.

Linda

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi Linda: Hope you check back...My Hubby actually gave it to me as a gift a few years back, so I'm afraid I don't know. Sorry.

~CC Catherine said...

Wendy, Love what you did with the bathroom., the sink is really unique., I've never seen one like this before. I like the way you put your own unique mirror above the sink, I like to do the same in my home. It's just so much more welcoming and "special". Being that I love French Country, French anything... ;) This is delightful! ;) ~CC Catherine from "Catherine de th`e Cups"

Becki said...

I keep coming back to this post of yours....love it! Great ideas. Becki

A Gracious Home said...

That's a beautiful room. Great ideas on your blog. Doylene

biff_erin said...

I love wainscotting and have been trying to get my husband let us do our bathroom just like yours. now I can show him your awesome pics and he'll have to say yes. thanks check out my blog at www.pretendingtobedomesticdotcom