9.12.2008

Shedding a little light on the subject...a lamp's tale

Once upon a time there was a little lamp. It was a cute little lamp. It was originally country red with some distressing (although its owner - who you'd think would know better - forgot to take a picture of it in its red "before" state). Well, one day, the little lamp's owner decided to rescue it from the basement and give it an exciting new home in the half-bath/laundry room. (Yes, I know, REALLY exciting....but at least it's better than the basement.) Unfortunately, the country red just wouldn't do. So the little lamp's owner decided to paint it something sleek...and sassy....like glossy black. Out came the spray paint.

The little lamp liked its new look.


Unfortunately, now the little lamp's lampshade just didn't look right. The little lamp's owner remembered seeing a perfect lampshade at the goodwill a week before. She jumped in her stylish minivan (with carseats) and drove through the heavy rain to goodwill, only to find that the lampshade was gone. (As one of those proverbial type people would say..."he (or in this case she) who hesitates is lost (or in this case loses out on the perfect little lampshade!)".

But then the little lamp's owner had an idea. Feathers (purchased from Michael's craft for a mere $1.99).

Feathers?

Yes, feathers.

After some time (and a few burned fingers from the hot glue gun) the little lamp's owner had given the lampshade a new, sassy look too!


The little lamp was very happy. And it lived happily ever after!


Come join me over at Blissfully Domestic! Catch my article here. If you haven't had a chance to visit Blissfully Domestic...you don't know what you're missing...great decorating advice and much more!

Have a wonderful weekend~

30 comments:

Saucy said...

I.Love.Feathers.On.Lamps.

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Tooo cute...and yes sassy. cherry

Darlene said...

Oh I agree it is a sassy little lamp now....too CUTE!!!!

Bridget said...

That is adorable! What a great idea!

Dunc said...

That is totally adorable, I love it!

Joanna said...

I really like the feathers...Oh and I forget to take before pictures a lot! *smiles*

Victoria said...

I never thought about using feathers on a lamp shade before but I love it.

Great makeover...

Lora said...

LOVE it!!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Too funny--I spray painted a lamp black earlier this week but I still need a new shade so no pictures yet.

~ Sarah

duchess said...

I love feathers on anything & that lamp is now full of attitude.
Hope the fingers are feeling better & remember....toothpicks.

Juice said...

Adorable - such a creative idea. I'd rim the top of the shade with a slim black ribbon, but then again that might be going overboard.

Laurel MacD said...

Great idea - did you just have feathers around?

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} said...

Such a fun little tale. The feathers were a very "bright" idea!

Valarie said...

Very cute! I am so glad the little lamp is happy now.

AJ said...

Well, I thought I was the Captain of the S.S. Sassy but cleary I am mistaken:) Love how it turned out!

Shannon said...

So cute! I love the look of feathers!

Jen r. said...

I love what you did witht this lamp. I would have never thought of feathers, but it really makes it so much better!

Angie said...

Great lamp makeover! Very cute and creative!

Leigh said...

From ho-hum to FABULOUS!
I love happy endings.

Angela said...

Love that transformation! I'll have to remember that feather trick. Gorgeous lamp!

Callie said...

very cute!! what a coincidence...I just redecorated a lamp with feathers a few days ago too! Check mine out here... http://smithlive.blogspot.com/2008/09/feathers-fabric-fabulous.html I check your blog often. You are uber talented - love it!!

Sher's Creative Expressions said...

What an adorable idea to put feathers on that lamp shade. And what a good owner that little lamp has :)

Blessings,

Sher

Joy said...

How fun is that?!? It quite the sassy little lamp now!

paige said...

very fun!

Kimba said...

Feathers! I love it! You're brilliant!

Hyde Family said...

I love looking at your blog. You have fun ideas. I can't wait to see the lamp in your bathroom.

Ms. Tee said...

I wouldn't have thought of that, but it is cute and very sassy! :)

Marie said...

How pretty is that? Feathers would never have occured to me. I love it though!

perilloparodies said...

great idea! love the look, and never would have thought of it myself. and... how would you clean it? hair dryer?

Wendy said...

Yep...hair dryer to clean. Set on cool, and held at least 12 inches from the lampshade. At least that's the plan right now...