9.19.2008

A project, a tutorial, (a boring post title)

I made this cute little Halloween project yesterday. First, I gathered up a few pieces of scrap wood, sanded the edges to make them smooth, and painted them with some white acrylic craft paint. Then I printed out the letters using 3 different fonts. I had to play around with the font sizes so that they ended up looking similar. I printed them out and cut them out by hand. Then I pulled out my trusty Mod Podge and decoupaged the letters on the squares. After they dried, I sanded the edges to distress them just a touch! That's it. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!

They look cute sitting there with our creepy crawly bugs. We have a wonderful friend who did his PhD work in entomology at one of the Universities near us. When he graduated and moved away, he gave us these pinned bugs as a gift. I think they are awesome! Especially since they are behind glass..not crawling around my house ;-) But I thought that the word "eek!" was fitting sitting next to them...hee hee!

I have had a few people asking how I made the little 3D paper stars I have featured a couple of times. Well, first I want to say that I got the idea and instructions right out of the September issue of Family Fun Magazine. Give credit where credit is due, I always say. That said, I tried to find their instructions online and couldn't so here is my version of a mini-tutorial on how to make them.

1. Make sure you get heavy paper. Scrapbook paper works great, but from my experience, printer paper doesn't work as well.
2. Cut the paper into strips 1/2" wide by approximately 11" long. I used 12x12 scrapbook paper and I left the strips 12" long... it doesn't really matter as long as they are at least 11" or so.


3. Begin by folding one strip into a "knot".

4. Cut the tail off so that it is flush with the edge of the "knot".

5. Begin folding the paper following the angles of the "knot"...continue folding until you have a pentagon.

6. Tuck the remaining edge into one of the folds.

7. Then with your thumb and pointer finger simple "squish" the corners. As long as the paper is heavy weight it will puff out into a little star!

That's it! Aren't they adorable?


OH, and one final thing...Next week is my 50th blog post so I'll be doing my first giveaway! Make sure you stop by and enter!!!

Have a Wonderful Weekend~

27 comments:

Valarie said...

Those are super cute, and they look easy to boot. Oh good greif I just rhymed!

Lorie said...

Very cute! I will have to show my daughter how to make stars!

And as for eek! Love it! And it is actually doable! Even better!

Lacy said...

I can sure do those stars in my classroom. Love your stars posts and think your blocks are perfect, especially by the bugs!!

Darlene said...

Your eek turned out great and I think it is GREAT with the bugs!!!

Thanks so much for the tutorial....I want to make those little stars...looks very do-able!!!

Bridget said...

Eek!!! Those letters are so cute!

Julie said...

those letter blocks are so cute! And I love those stars my sunday school kids will love to make them:) can't wait to try
Julie

Joanna said...

Eek! Is so right about the bugs. They turned out great.

Oh thank you for the instructions on the stars..I think that I want to make a couple dozen and just stash them in vases and jars, they are so cute!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Those stars are super-cute. Thanks for the tutorial! And I love the eek sign. I might have to copy you and do something similar this weekend! :) Have a great one!
Carrie

Shannon said...

Oh, can't wait for the giveaway! I actually said, "EEK" when I saw your bugs!!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Thank you so much for this great tutorial! I can't wait to a jar full like yours.
I will be doing a tutorial on cute inexpensive placemat purses (great for gifts) hopefully next week. They turn out surprisingly CUTE!
M.L. : )

Carla said...

Love the eek blocks. I might have to make some of those. Love your blog.

Ms. Tee said...

So cute - the stars and the blocks. I have a little something for you at my blog. Happy Friday :)

Jamie said...

I love your eek blocks (and the stars too), very cute!

Bella Casa said...

Everything is so cute :)

Bella

Cristin said...

love the EEK!
50th post coming up...
Congrats on that...
Have a great weekend!

Charmingdesigns said...

REALLY?? That easy??? I'll have to give them a try, they are soooo adorable!! laurie

Joy said...

Cute "eek" blocks! Don't you just love that word for Halloween. Actually we use that word everyday at our house because it's the name of our cat.
I love those little stars. I'm going to have to try making some. They look so cute in the jar.
Your home is looking beautiful all dressed up for fall!
Have a wonderful weekend.

Marie said...

VERY cute stars!! The EEK is adorable too. I wish my printer had ink! It would make my life a lot easier. lol

AJ said...

Wendy,
I have a couple questions for you regarding transforming your closet into a mud-bench area. Can you email me, pretty please:) AJ7125@wideopenwest.com
Thanks So much!

NCJill said...

Ok, I must be a poofin'-paper-star-POOPER because I can't get my stars to poof at the end. Boo,hoo. I'm using scrapbook paper, right width and length....looks just like yours until I get to the poofin' part, and then pflatttttt. Hu!? Well, at least I remember how to make paper balloons that are awesome! Seventh grade was useful for something! LOL!

PS Love your site!

Wendy said...

NCJill...sorry about the poof part going "flat". Funny pun, huh? Okay, really, I had a hard time too at first. I thought it was just because I was using regular printer weight paper, but maybe it is just a little hard to get it to work at first. Even with scrapbook paper I learned that I had to kind of finesse them a little first. Squish them around a little and then pinch the corners. I also really stick my fingernail in when I pinch them to make the indentations between each point. Keep trying and let me know if they end up poofing for you.

Our Complete Family said...

The Eek sign is so cute, fun, and for sure Halloweeny! I agree, the bugs are awesome...behind glass!!! Cute and fun stars, too. I'll have to try those with Bryce. How did I miss those in the magazine? Miss Priss might have distracted me or torn that page!!! ;) Happy rest of your weekend~ Les

Ann said...

The stars are so cute....My son would think I'm a genius when I teach him that. Thanks...and nice project you did too.

Amy said...

very cute

perilloparodies said...

Adorable AND useful... can't beat that. And you have been linked at perilloparodies.blogspot.com Have a great day!!

Diane@A Picture is Worth.... said...

Those are both cute projects! Thanks so much for taking the time to do a tutorial!
diane

Chic and Charming said...

I love those little mini stars! I used to make them all the time as a kid.