9.29.2008

Literary Pumpkins!


I saw this darling idea on Shabby Vintage Chic, a fun blog I discovered last week! I had done several projects like this when I was a little girl, but never for Halloween! (think Christmas angels) I loved the idea of folded books as jack-o-lanterns, so I spent the better part of Saturday night folding all the pages in an old paperback novel. The Hubby thought I was absolutely nuts...but after seeing the finished project, he decided it was a great idea. I'm going to make this little guy a bunch of buddies. I didn't glue the face on very tightly because the Hubby and I both decided that jack-o-lantern and his buddies would look very sculptural gracing our bookcases after the holidays are over. So I'll just remove the faces and VOILA! Kari & Kijsa suggested a similar idea here.
And because I couldn't decide which photo of Jack I liked best, here are a few more!






As you may recall, I seem to have lost/misplaced a bunch of my fall decorations, so I am kind of starting from scratch for Halloween. So this last weekend, I really caught the crafting bug and I got to work creating a bunch of cute little goodies for Halloween that I will be sharing this upcoming week! Stay tuned...


Also, before I forget, I was tagged last week by The Hinesley House to list 6 random things about myself. I must admit, these sorts of things are always hard for me because I try and think of interesting stuff, and I always draw a blank. But here it goes anyway...


  1. I danced for 25 years, right up until I found out I was expecting One. I danced precision, ballet, tap, jazz, ballroom and even Irish Step! I thought of pursuing dance as a career, but I had a bad knee because of numerous injuries, so I worked in marketing/PR for a professional ballet company instead!

  2. I suffered from infertility problems for 5 years before the Hubby and I were finally able to conceive. I guess my body figured out how it all works, because now I have four kiddos!

  3. I am an obsessive/type A personality.

  4. I was named Wendy after the character in Peter Pan.

  5. All my childhood years, my parents took us a camping in a native American teepee. (It's a nice way to camp, plenty of room, and you can build a fire right in the tent - but it takes 2 hours to set up!)

  6. As a kid and a teenager I could never sleep in past 6 am no matter how late I went to bed. It was horrible at slumber parties, because I was the only one awake in the morning....for hours!

I'm not going to pass the tag on, but if anyone wants to play, please do so and leave me a comment so I can drop by your blog and see what fun things you have to say about yourself :-)


And finally, some bloggy love from Celita at The Spices of Life. Thanks Celita!



I hope to have the winner of last week's giveaway ready to announce tomorrow. I had over 100 people leave comments and you all had such lovely things to say! (WOW! You really made my day!) So thank you!!!

18 comments:

Valarie said...

That is way to cute!

Jen r. said...

Cute. LOVE the project!

The Idaho Olsens said...

I love that idea...it is so easy and fun and it looks great. A friend of mine tagged me for 6 quirky things about myself...you are right it is difficult to come up with things...love your ideas, thanks for sharing with us.

Cherry's Jubilee said...

That is soooo cool...and my fave colors...black/whtie. cherry

Saucy said...

That is a great little idea, too cute! It sucks to lose track of your decorations. You'll find them at Easter.

Darlene said...

What a great project....CUTE, cute!!

Traci said...

Those are ADORABLE....I am seeing so many possibilities....thanks for sharing!!!

Tammy (Mom to this crazy bunch) said...

Oh man, does that bring back memories. I remember doing this in grade school. How fun and I love how yours turned out. I think the kids may have a project on their hands this week! Thanks for reminding me...

Sandy Toes said...

How cute...I love that project!
American tepee???...that is great!
Happy Monday!
-Sandy toes

The Hinesley House said...

That is such a neat idea!

I was ready your 6 random things and found out that we have something in common. I too struggle with infertility and just recently suffered a 2nd miscarriage. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome before the birth of my son.

Ms. Tee said...

This is very cute - love it! I would've never thought to put a face on it! :)

Junk Mammas said...

Love it and we really enjoy reading your blog!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love that idea! It is so cute and creative without being over-the-top Halloween-y. If only I had the patience to fold down all those pages! :)
Carrie

Angie said...

I have never seen this done before - too cute!

Kelly said...

Too adorable!

Deb said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the book idea. I am totally doing that. Super cute.

Andrea said...

OK, so I tried making my own literary pumpkin and it is not working. I must have chosen a book that was too long because mine will not come to a complete cirlce. It's more like half a cirlce. hhmmmmm

Meg said...

How did you get your pumpkins to look so well rounded? It's very interesting to hear about your five year infertility. It's amazing to me how many people go through this that you would never think because they have kids. It's very inspiring to me.