8.07.2008

The Kitchen...BEFORE

These photos were taken BEFORE we started work on our kitchen. And I want to stress that even though we have done a lot...and I do mean a lot of work to the kitchen, it is still a work in progress. But I'll get to that.


The Hubby did all the work himself (with a little help from a friend here and there) so it took a while. We lived on this lovely orange Tyvek for a number of weeks before the tile finally got done. The refrigerator was in the Library...it made cooking a lot of fun ;-)








This picture shows my pretty "floating" cabinet, and the nice white hood over the stove. Oh, and just for Kim at Today's Creative Blog I've got some counter clutter going on here (even a partially eaten apple - how disgusting! It took a lot for me to post a picture of my house looking like this). Oh yeah, and on the window, the lovely vertical blinds that were all over this house when we moved in.




In this picture, The Hubby has finished the tile...that made a world of difference by itself, we put the refrigerator back AND The Hubby finished putting beadboard up on the bar (and I painted it black...yes, I did do some of the work...) We also replaced the old brass hardware on the cabinets with black hardware. But we didn't like the oak. It still looked dated. So out came the paintbrushes...
And if you want to see what happened you'll have to join me back here on Monday.

But here's a teaser... (notice how it doesn't really show you anything...wahahaha (imagine an evil laugh sound) that's so you'll really come back.)

17 comments:

A Bushel and Peck said...

O.k. I can't wait to see what you chose. I love the black beadboard. We have wood floor in the kitchen like you did and we keep saying that eventually we will have to tile it. I am not looking forward to that job. I also have oak cabinets and would love to be able to convince my husband they would look better painted. I will be back to see the finale!

Darlene said...

Since I have discovered you I will definately be back to see what you did. Love the tile and the black beadboard. We have old, ugly cabinets and are thinking of painting them.....

Connie said...

I'm hooked! I'll be back!

Valarie said...

Wow that beadboard painted black looks awesome! I can't wait until Monday to see what else you did. :)

Jennie said...

I love it already. I ALMOST have enought energy to START thinking about doing my cabinets. :)

Traci said...

Oh you are BAAAAAAAD. I'm guessing you painted them off white, white or something....light to contrast the black. I love the tile in my kitchen....wouldn't trade it.

Cathy said...

Found you from Today's Creative Blog... Love your decorating style! Funny thing is, I started a similar kitchen "restyle" last week. Going very slowly of course, but the bead board wainscoting will be sprayed *black* tomorrow. Also going to be painting my (currently painted almond by previous owner) cabinets black and distressing them a little. I only have a few before pictures up, and a picture of my paint job so far. Anyway, I'm anxious to see how yours turns out and if we'll be similar in any way!

Here is my progress thus far:
http://yoderfam.blogspot.com/2008/08/bee-in-my-bonnett-mini-kitchen-remodel.html

Ashley said...

I can't believe your so cruel as to leave us with that teaser over the weekend! I'll be back on Monday to check it out.

Hillary said...

I just found your blog and I love it. Your ideas are wonderful! Can't wait to see the cabinets.:)

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see what you did to the cabinets!!! I would love to do something to my kitchen.

Vanessa said...

I can't wait to see what you did with your cabinets. I'm trying to decide if I should tackle painting mine. Not sure if I am up for the challange, but I think I would love the look once it is done.

Mommy said...

Can't wait to see!

Jen r. said...

I can't wait to see, I'll be back. Jen R

chriskauf said...

Oh I can not wait to see the rest of the kitchen tomorrow , love the black , and your boys bedroom is super, love it , you have a great clean style.
I quess that means I will be back again , come on by my blog I am a big do it yourselfer beginning on a new career starting a new Interior Decor Services business , this should be an interesting year.
Chris

Tausha said...

I love this blog. I read every single post and loved everything in every single post. I love the ideas with all the chalkboards. I never thought to do that. Hope you don't mind if I copy. Copying is the most sincerest form of flattery.
I too love barn stars and I love that green color. I think that I will have to paint one my stars that great green color. So fun and unique!
Well now since you know that I love you and all your talents, please come by and say hello! I love to make new friends espescially those who crafty!! Thanks for the great ideas! Can't wait to come back!

CarolynA said...

My cabinets are the horrible oak too. I'm very interested to see what you have done.

littleredsquirrel said...

I just found you today and I LOVE your blog. I have boys sharing a room and I love what you have done with their beds and the stripe looks fabulous. I dont have a little girl and am very jealous of what you have done with her room. I love the blackboards and the mudroom. I don't need one of those, but was planning to do something similar with our entry - your idea with the laminated photos is genius. I will be checking back on you to see what else I can copy! It is all truly beautiful and very clever - you should be very proud..Nic
PS - found you from Todays Creative Blog