8.26.2008

Keeping Keys


I can't take credit for this cute little idea. My ultra-crafty sister-in-law made this. She had one in her house, and I complimented it often enough, that she made me one for my birthday (or maybe it was Christmas) a few years ago. It's on the wall right between the back door and the mudbench. We always know right where our keys are - as long as we remember to hang them up when we walk in the door! ;-)
The project was actually pretty simple. She took a piece of wood, cut it to size and routered the edges (I'm not sure if that is the right spelling because woodworking is the Hubby's department). You could also buy a premade plaque at a craft store. Then she drilled a hole in the center and bolted the old door knob on. After she painted and distressed it a little bit, she screwed in four cup hooks, added a couple of old skeleton keys and voila! It's great just as it is, but because I love words, I've been toying with the idea of adding some vinyl lettering at the top that says "welcome" . Cute, huh?

13 comments:

Marie said...

VERY cute! I may steal your sister in law's idea and make a few for Christmas gifts! I have 8 brothers and sisters so I have to plan ahead. :o)

Valarie said...

I have one of these! Except I got mine at Hobby Lobby, but it is the same concept. :)

Ashley said...

Very cute!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love this! So glad you got one for a gift since you loved it that much! I think adding little letters would be really sweet. Let us know how it goes with the vinyl lettering, I am curious as to how it will work!
-Carrie

Morgan said...

Wow, that is too adorable for words! I'm always looking for gift ideas too (like Marie) for my husband's huge family. This just might work!

The Nunes' said...

This is such a cute project... I love it! I am going to be on the look out now for an old door knob. And I love all of the other projects you have shared too, as well as your darling house! I love to stop by your blog often for cute new ideas. Thanks for sharing!!!

Emily
http://emily-nunescreates.blogspot.com/

Christina said...

Love you key holder. We need something like that. I'm always looking for my keys.

Chris said...

I LOVE this idea. More importantly, I think I could actually make it!

AngiDe- Nana's Box said...

Hi, I found you through Buzzings of a Queen Bee. Love the keys board! Looks much better than my bowl full of keys ;)

Angie
Nana's Box

AJ said...

I like it!!!!

Leigh said...

OK, just found your cute as pie through my friend at Psych Ward. I am so bookmarking and will return. Cute, cute, cute. FAb ideas!

Victoria said...

I love this idea. I hope you don't mind but I linked to it over on mine and my sisters blog.

At Home Redesigns said...

Love that!