8.14.2008

The Dining Room

Okay, so we don't really have a "Dining Room". Our house is pretty open concept, so it's really more of an eat-in kitchen. We didn't really do anything to the room aside from paint it Cathedral Gray. And it could still probably use a little something. But I thought y'all might want a little peek. So here she goes...

I guess I lied. When I looked at this picture I realized that we also replaced the chandelier. When we moved in, there was a "lovely" mauve-colored-stained-glass-and-brass fixture. It had to go. Our table is actually a Pottery Barn piece that we got at a scratch and dent store for 1/2 price!

We need to buy new chairs! We only have three chairs that are still usable (is that a word?) so we use a bench that the Hubby built on the other side of the table. It actually works great as we can squeeze three (or more) kiddos on that one side. But it would still be nice to have proper chairs!


Here's a closeup of the awesome pot. I filled it with silk Japanese Lanterns that I found at Pier 1. My theory is if you're going to use fake flowers...it's better to spend a little more and have them look realistic. These look quite real and they give an autumn-y feel to the place! Oh, and that box in the window seat...I've got my olive oil and balsamic vinegar bottles stored in there... since I'm not much of a cook, I guess it doesn't matter if they go bad sitting in a sunny window (they're actually more of an accessory than anything, I've had them for almost two years, and they haven't even been opened yet ;-) )

I made these throw pillows...love the toile!

Another chalkboard...another chance to post a favorite quote!

Don't you just love this old cupboard! The Hubby and I rescued it from his parents' house. They were tearing down an old shed where it had been for years! We brought it home, cleaned it up, painted it and VOILA! Extra storage! (And it's beadboard too... I love beadboard!)

Finally, had to show you this cute magazine rack...I put a nail right into the old cupboard and hung it up there...it holds all my current catalogs!


Hope you enjoyed this little tour! Have a lovely weekend!

25 comments:

aj said...

That is really a great cabinet! And magazine rack! Can't beat that Pottery Barn deal!!!!

Angie said...

Your dining area is so pretty - love the pillows! I also love the chalkboard, cabinet, and magazine rack. I came across your blog and can't wait to read your old posts. Check out my blog!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Hi WEndy! I think the bench works great! Love it. Your window bench...sigh is something I have wanted since I was a little girl. Someday! LOVEEEEEEE the old cabinet. Would love to have a piece like that someday. Thanks for comin by my way. cherry

Ms. Tee said...

Your dining room is beautiful. All of it, the little window nook w/pillows, too. I love the magazine rack, too. :)

Michelle said...

I just found your blog and I love it!! You have given me some great ideas, thanks!

Michelle

Darlene said...

Your dining area is great!! The bench looks great at the table and the pot with the Japanese Lanterns is fabulous. I also LOVE that beadboard cabinet...glad you saved it. Your pillows and chalkboard....well can you just tell I LOVE it ALL!!!!!

Traci said...

Great as usual....isn't it amazing what some people see as junk turns into a reall treasure for another person. You have great vision.

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} said...

Love that old cabinet! So glad you rescued it.

Valarie said...

I love the cupboard! I also like the bench with the dining room table. I like the look that it gives it. :)

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Your dining room area looks so fresh. I love the bead board cabinet it has so much character. I have read some of your older posts, and love the blackboards. I need one for my kitchen, actually to cover up something. I look forward to visiting again.

Bella's momma said...

I really like that cabinet!! Adorable 'room'~

Ashley said...

What a gorgeous room! I love the bench! I picked out our dining room table specifically for the bench! I'll post pics of that room one day. I'm currently looking for a hutch, cabinet, or something for that room. I love your room!

candiceschenk said...

I love that table!!! What a great idea. I want a bench now. Hmm...off to look up where a pb outlet is near me!

Amber said...

That bead board cabinet is fabulous! What a lucky "find" for you. :) We have a PB outlet about 40 minutes away, but I haven't found a great table like that yet! ;) We are wanting one that is round with leaves to make it oval for our bay window dining area. I love yours!

Shannon said...

I just found your blog and love it!! So cute! I looked at all your posts. I love your style!

Blissful Nikki said...

Oh, I love this room, that table is TDF!!! :) Oh, and that cupboard is AWESOME!

Robyn said...

Love all your ideas! Come by and say hello whenever!
Hugs,
Robyn

Nicole said...

Your dining room is beautiful. I love how you have decorated it. I love benches and yours looks perfect. I just saw your newly painted cabinets. They look incredible, you did an awesome job. We just painted ours black and I love it. I think everyone thought we were crazy, but now everyones loves it as much as we do.

Andrea said...

I love your table and that cupboard is awesome!

Joy said...

What a beautiful dining area! It's so light and fresh looking.

Kitty Scraps said...

Just came across your blog and your dining room is very pretty, I heart your bench and cupboard. I have only four chairs for my table and have wanted to do something similar with a bench or adding two mix matched chairs. Lucky you to have something built by your husband!

Alli {Mrs. Fussypants} said...

Hi Wendy,

My friend Nester recommended you for my online magazine, Blissfully Domestic. We are branching out into a huge network of sites and bringing in talented decorators from around the web.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Alli

Victoria said...

Wow, I love your Dining room!

I would leave the bench at the table ... it's so cute!

Also love the cabinet and the magazine holder. I can't wait to browse the rest of your blog.

jcastor said...

I love your decorating style. If you ever come through Durham, NC let me know I could use some help! - Nice blog btw, I just found you.

Meghan said...

Your house is gorgeous!
When can I move in?
LOL