8.17.2008

Back to school week...

This is the last full week of summer at our house. And this year I have two kiddos going to school. One will be entering third grade and the Princess is heading off to kindergarten. In honor of back to school week, I thought I would post some (loosely-based) school related posts. You're going to have to humor me here, because this is primarily a blog where I share my decorating ideas, etc. so I stretched my definition of school related just a little bit. I'm hoping you enjoy...

First up...Cute clipboards



I don't know about you other moms out there, but keeping homework papers and school notes corralled, but handy, can get to be a little bit challenging. Last year, One's weekly homework assignment pages ended up posted on the refrigerator door. Handy, but ugly. So this year with two kiddos in school, I decided I needed a better plan. I hit upon the idea of clipboards. But plain old brown clipboards would not do...not in this house...nosiree! So I cutified them. (Okay, I KNOW cutified is not a word, but it is clever, huh?) I took the kiddos to the craft store and let them each pick out some scrapbook paper they liked (without telling them what it was for) I then picked out a coordinating paper to make them a little more exciting. What do you think? I'm going to give them to the kiddos the night before school starts at our family back to school dinner. Then they'll go on the wall by the back door to keep everything handy!
Happy crafting~

22 comments:

Darlene said...

Those are great and really are cutified (I love that new word)!! What a handy way to keep those papers contained....CUTE, CUTE and great idea!!!

Robyn said...

Very cute...tie some ribbons at the top and send it over the edge with cutness!
Hugs!

Valarie said...

Very Very cuteified! I actually have the stuff to make some of these, I just have to get the time to do them. :)

Trisha said...

I love it! I am so stealing this idea..I have seen them done, but it never entered my mind to make them for the kids..what a great way to keep track of their weekly stuff!

aj said...

Well, I've been stockpiling clipboards with this project in mind for oh, a few years:) My girls are going in to the same grades as your kiddos so maybe I should do as you and have them ready for school!!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

I have done this but used it as a picture frame. I need to post that! Love the idea for the kiddos...I am sure my son could use one...he will be in 5th grade. cherry

Ms. Tee said...

Very cute and creative - I might make myself one! :)

Linds said...

So cute! What a great idea!

Bella's momma said...

Perfect!!! Love this idea!

Sarah said...

What a cute idea! I found your blog through Cherry, and just love it!!

Jennifer said...

I want to do this! So practical and cute.

Caroline said...

Wonderful idea! I don't have a spot near the door, so I have a designated spot on the counter. I was thinking about using one of those canvas cube bins as the school paper catch-all. My kids are in high school and STILL come home with gobs of paper!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

What a great idea!! Such cute clipboards...my daughter is two and has a few years before school starts but I still want to make one for her!
-Carrie

Chris said...

I just made two of these, as well! Too funny! I have yet to decide how I'll use mine though. This is an option!

bopster said...

Cool clipboards and great idea!! I was looking at this clipboard for myself but I can't find where to order it online:
http://www.squidoo.com/clipboards

Our Complete Family said...

What a FUN blog! You are very crafty! I will have to peek at your other entries! BTW, I popped over to your blog from 'Queen Bee'. Happy day wishes to you! Les

Janelle said...

I normally don't like "cutified" clipboards, because they're so over-the-top with the raggy handles and everything. I like the minimalist cutified look of these. Would you mind (in another post perhaps) giving a tutorial on how to make said cute clipboards? Is it decoupage? Please enlighten us! Thanks!

autumnesf said...

I am also requesting a tutorial. I have a nasty brown clipboard that I use when I'm cooking. Perfect to hold that recipe (guilty of printing recipes off the internet alot and going by that) or some of my smaller books and keep them out of the wet and mess. I'd love to decorate it but I'm clueless how you did these.

Misti said...

I have always wanted to make a cool clipboard for me, but making them specifically for the kids is a great idea! My wheels are turning...I have just the spot over the kitchen desk for 3 clipboards... thanks~
~Misti

Astrid said...

Oh...now that's a clever idea. I know my girlies love to use my clipboard. I'll have to get several of them when I see them on sale (and pretty them up).

jenjen said...

Those clipboards are so darling! Your blog is great. I'm so glad I found it!

Thanks!

Jen

Home Sweet Hideaway said...

Very cute idea! I never know what to do with the mountain of paper the kids bring home from school.